Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

200R4 in Avanti II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission: 200R4 in Avanti II

Where can I find a step by step on converting my Avanti II from the standard automatic to a 200R4? I'm picking one up today for the project. I seem to recall the drive shaft length has to be changed (I have a spare) and the rear cross member has to be moved or replaced....but am interested in any other "details" that I'll need to know rather than stumbling onto them as I go.
    thanks
    Mike Sal

As far as step by step, it's very close to the reverse of taking your's out. Bolts up, about the same size, just needs a couple of tweaks.

I put a 2004R into my 83 to replace the 700R4 and removed the computer at the same time. The 200 will be closer in length to yours and a quick google search will get you the differences in mounting positions. In any case the rear mount is pretty straight forward and you can probably just adjust yours to the correct length If you need to fab a new one, I'll post the one I built for mine.

You need to account for the kick down cable, and no reason you can't use a stock GM one as long as you can get on the carb shaft to accept it. The internet is full of how to's on adjusting them. It's important to get it right for the life of the trans. Lokar and others can provide universal ones but I did use the OEM one. I have an Edelbrock carb on mine and while I don't recall how I hooked up the cable but my guess is it was just available parts.

You will also need to either get a source of power for locking the converter or a non-locking converter. There are controls that will automatically lock/unlock the converter but I just use an on/off switch to power mine for highway cruising.

Here's a shot of it from today.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20190927_112739.jpg Views:	0 Size:	80.3 KB ID:	1804201
    The car is on my hoist so if you need pix or other data, let me know.

Bob
    Last edited by sweetolbob; 09-27-2019, 08:56 AM.

Comment

I put one out of a caddy in my 67. Went to TCI for hp rebuild parts/advice to ensure it lived behind my ZZ3 engine. No problems putting it in. BE SURE you set the kickdown points. There is an aftermarket cable and procedure for the AFB from Bowtie Overdrives. You'll need a pressure gauge for the setpoints. If you don't do it, the trans will self destruct.

Comment

Originally posted by chrise2 View Post
        I put one out of a caddy in my 67. Went to TCI for hp rebuild parts/advice to ensure it lived behind my ZZ3 engine. No problems putting it in. BE SURE you set the kickdown points. There is an aftermarket cable and procedure for the AFB from Bowtie Overdrives. You'll need a pressure gauge for the setpoints. If you don't do it, the trans will self destruct.
        BowTieOverdrives parts and instructions are expensive, but they idiot-proof the setup. FWIW, trying not to spend the money, I spent a lot of time trying to fab up the carburetor linkage on an original '63 AFB. Finally, I bought their parts and it works well.

1. There are at least a dozen different governors for the TH200-4R. They control the shift points. Mine was shifting too soon. I went to a tranny shop and they had a bucket full of used governors. I chose a couple with heavier weights and one of them was about where I wanted it to shift with my rear gears.
        2. Definitely set up a locking converter. It is better in every mode.

jack vines
        PackardV8

Comment

The distance from the bell housing flange at the engine and the rear mount on the transmisson of the TH350 which is likely the stock trans you have is 20 3/8". That dimension on the TH200R is 27", 6 5/8" longer. That dimension of the TH700r4 is 22 1/2". Only2 1/8" longer. Also the TH200R is the same overall length as the TH350 with the 6" tailshaft housing, but the TH700r4 is the same legnth as the TH350 with the 9" tailshaft housing.

Measure your existing trans. These dimensions may have bearing on what trans you choose and how difficult the swap can get. I've replaced the TH350 I put in our '53 coupe 30 years ago (GM350 engine) with a 700r4 and even with a 3:1 axle it performs amazingly well. Also put one in my GT behind the Stude V8 and fitment was very easy, mounting on the stock crossmember.
          sigpic

Comment

Sorry so late in a reply. Thanks for the tips. I had a used 200r4 out of a cadillac that I exchanged for a rebuilt one from a transmission shop. I have a new cable & all the bits needed, other than a yoke for the output shaft. Will get one of those pretty soon. That picture of the rear tranny mount will be very helpful. thanks. After I get it installed, I'm going to take it to a shop to have the gadget installed for the lock up torque converter system.

Comment

Working...
            X