Conversion to LED Headlights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: Conversion to LED Headlights

I'm not real familiar yet with the new Forum, but I tried to search for some prior discussion on converting to LED Headlights, but was unsuccessful.
    I want to convert my Champ Pickup to LED Headliights. Has anyone done this yet and if so, what was necessary and what products (Manufacturer) were used?
    Thanks
    Laisez le bon temps roulez avec un Studebaker

I assume your truck is 12 volt so this would not apply but here is how I converted my M15 to LED headlights.

https://studem15a-20.blogspot.com/20...eadlights.html
    1948 M15A-20 Flatbed Truck Rescue
    See rescue progress here on this blog:
    http://studem15a-20.blogspot.com/

Comment

Here's one place to look. Both Halogen (6 and 12 volt) and LED available.

https://www.headwinds.com/mm5/mercha...tegory_Code=02

Me, after having both OEM, LED and halogen headlights in various motorcycles over the years, I prefer Halogen for clean, bright and distance.
      While LED's are nice and white, they do not project very far. You can get the projector lenses that help, but, I don't like the "bug-eye" look. In cars that were designed with those, it's not quite as bad, but for 7" round, projector lenses, it looks out of place.
      If you do not use the projector lens, it's easy to "over drive" the head lights with "just" an LED bulb and standard lens.
      The only problem with halogens, is that when you turn on the high beam portion, it's not an "instant-on", they take a couple of seconds to come to full brightness.

Looks like nothings free, but again for a good, distance beam throw, the halogen goes out there.

Mike

Comment

Agree with Mike. I had the same experience on my 95 F-150. The LED's lit up the whole area, but no distance vision. I put the halogens back in.

Comment

#3 for the Halogens...

Comment

This is an interesting thread. I just purchased a pair of 7" round 6 volt Halogen bulbs for my '55 President because it is getting hard to find the traditional Incandescent bulbs.
            A previous owner converted the car to 8 volt and I am curious if this will cause a problem with the 6 volt bulbs. (Sorry. I hope this is not hijacking this thread).
            Ed Sallia
            Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Commander Eddie (Charles),

please keep us updated on the Halogens in your '55 President. I have the '55 President State Sedan and would be interested in the Halogens in my car. I drove it to the Branson Orphan Car Show a couple weeks back and had to leave in the dark both ways to beat the 90+ weather.

Thank you,
              Charlie D.

Comment

Will do, Charlie.
                Ed Sallia
                Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie D View Post
                  Commander Eddie (Charles),

please keep us updated on the Halogens in your '55 President. I have the '55 President State Sedan and would be interested in the Halogens in my car. I drove it to the Branson Orphan Car Show a couple weeks back and had to leave in the dark both ways to beat the 90+ weather.

Thank you,
                  Charlie D.
                  I'm following this too Commander Eddie! My '54 sedan had pretty decent headlights, but halogens would be even better. Already got the headlight relay so all the amps don't have to go thru the headlight switch, and will use all new wiring between the relay and the headlights.

Eddie, can you give us a link to where you purchased your 6v halogens?
                  Paul
                  Winston-Salem, NC
                  Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

I suppose the real question I have is what kind of reflectors do I need to use? Where can I find these reflectors. They appear to accommodate both halogen and LEDs, is that correct? Are they included in the conversion kits?

Thanks!!
                    Laisez le bon temps roulez avec un Studebaker

Comment

Actually, I bought my halogens bulbs from O'Reilly Auto Parts for under $12.00 each. They are the old part number but with an H in front (H6006). They are complete 7" round sealed beam bulbs with the correct three prong connector on the back so they just plug in like the old bulbs. No alterations needed.
                      Ed Sallia
                      Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Originally posted by mjeansonne View Post
                        I suppose the real question I have is what kind of reflectors do I need to use? Where can I find these reflectors. They appear to accommodate both halogen and LEDs, is that correct? Are they included in the conversion kits?

Thanks!!
                        The basic "universal" Halogen bulb and many LED's use an H4 base, so the reflector assembly will likely be for that H4 base bulb; diameter will be 7". There are many lens designs available so you'll have to find one you like that has the light characteristics you want. I have these in one of my Chevies, they work well , but the lens is fairly flat so they look different than a sealed beam. They were around $10 each with bulbs when I bought them 12 years ago. EMPI 00-9311-0 H4Click image for larger version

Name:	f72a3369-3639-4315-9dd6-eef92387c4ce_1.8bae114e1f56d75ae51266351a82e841.jpeg?odnWidth=undefined&odnHeight=undefined&odnBg=ffffff.jpg
Views:	687
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	1804557

Comment

The reflectors are available from Amazon at $12 each.

Comment

The Halogen Follow-up.
                            I finally got the new Halogen headlights installed and am very please with them. They produce a whiter, brighter light. I drove to work in the dark this morning and they really lit up the road ahead well. So, count these as a recommended improvement.
                            Ed Sallia
                            Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

If you do decide to use halogen bulbs, be aware they draw more current, and will trip the circuit breakers and you will be totally in the dark. They also will burn up the headlight switches if you do not wire them with a remote power relay.
                              If you get the right reflectors, and the correct LEDs you won't have any of those problems.
                              Attached Files
                              Bez Auto Alchemy
                              573-318-8948
                              http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Working...
                              X