Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Roly poly fish eyes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint: Roly poly fish eyes

Studebaker content: I love my Champ!

Now the problem child is a 2002 Beetle of my wife's. I'm painting some used plastic door cards since hers are rubbish. I cleaned them with the stuff from the Dollar Store, and cleaned them good One card went fine, the other fish-eyed on me. So now I have textured plastic with fish-eyed Krylon.

How do I fix this mess?
    Ron Dame
    '63 Champ

Originally posted by Ron Dame View Post
    Studebaker content: I love my Champ!

Now the problem child is a 2002 Beetle of my wife's. I'm painting some used plastic door cards since hers are rubbish. I cleaned them with the stuff from the Dollar Store, and cleaned them good One card went fine, the other fish-eyed on me. So now I have textured plastic with fish-eyed Krylon.

How do I fix this mess?
    If you can determine the plastic, possibly polyethylene PE or polypropylene PP you could try lacquer thinner or acetone to remove the paint. If it's ABS then solvents are limited. You could try cleaning with alcohol and prepsol and sanding if it's ABS or you chose to do it that way on any plastic.

A molded door card will usually have the material of manufacture stated on the back side much like the part number.

Just check the effect of solvents on the back side before you attack the front.

Comment

I don't think there is a one line fix, I painted my dash three times over, the first two times it was orange peel and fish eye and the third time magic perfect and smooth and I didn't do any thing any different. So I don't have a one line answer, maybe too close, try several light coats, let dry and sand between coats, maybe there is a paint expert that can help. Krylon may have a help number.

Comment

Fish eyes are caused by wax film left on the surface. Would have helped to clean good first with dawn dish washing soap and wax and grease remover. At this point about all you can do is sand as best you can clean it good and try light coats.

Comment

Yeah, it's ABS, so solvent is a no-no. Crappy ABS at that, that's hat's wrong with 90% of Beetle door cards. Usually that cleaner from Dollar Store does as good or better than anything,. But maybe Dawn and a light sand so I don't lose the texture will work.
          Ron Dame
          '63 Champ

Comment

Working...
          X