Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Overdrive wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission: Overdrive wiring

I'm finishing up my 63 Champ and am wiring the Overdrive circuit. Seems to be several schematics both with and without a relay. The main issue I'm having is mine has a Shift Rail "Lockout" switch between the Governor and Kickdown switch. Not sure what it is for or if I should just bypass it.

Thanks

My 8E5 has that switch and it is not used , Ed

Comment

Relays were not used after 1957. The lockout switch was eliminated during the 1955 model year, so you must have an older transmission.

Comment

It is a REVERSE Lockout Switch, if you do not plan on going 32 Miles per hour in Reverse in Overdrive, I don't think you will ever need it!

What Engine does your Champ have?
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

My 8E5 Champ was not factory equipped with OD. Previous owner installed OD but didn't bother to wire it or to even install proper accelerator linkage. When I finally secured necessary parts I used wiring diagram shown on page 4 of wiring diagrams in the 2E through 8E Truck Shop Manual.

Comment

Overdrive will not turn in reverse when engaged, has a one way clutch.

Comment

It has a 170 straight 6 with 455 rear so it needs OD. Not sure what the PO did but I have to re-wire OD from scratch. I have yet to find a diagram that doesn't include a relay or a diagram of the relay itself. Does anyone have a OD diagram that doesn't show a relay? Maybe one that shows the internals of the relay.

Comment

This is one I used. I printed the diagram and then used colored pencils to highlight the wires I needed.
                sigpic

"In the heart of Arkansas."
                Searcy, Arkansas
                1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                1952 2R pickup

Comment

Here's my diagram:Click image for larger version

Name:	OVERDRIVE DIAGRAM clean my 62 GT rev3-2.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	1803615
                  sigpic

Comment

OK, following those diagrams, this one from Borg-Warner seems like a simplified version. The relay is simply breaking positive power to the solenoid so there isn't 24/7 power to it.
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	Overdrive Wiring.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	1803667

Comment

Working...
                    X