HOW TO CHOP A 53

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HOW TO CHOP A 53

IS THERE ANY BOOKS OUT THERE ON HOW TO CHOP A 53 COUPE? OR INFORMATION.

THANKS KEN

No "Stude specific' books that I have seen in the last 35 years or so (on a coupe)..
    Several forum members have a lot of pic's of how some have been done.
    A lot of work, and not something that should be tried as a first time chop.
    A hardtop is easier (Search for 'Gentleman's Chop').
    Cutting the windshield is one of the harder items to accomplish.
    Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by 1953 stude

THANKS KEN
    http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Ken - You probably want to ask that question on the H.A.M.B., a lot more of that goes on there.

My young friend, that chopped and made a two door out of a four door 1952 Packard, and I were looking at my 54 hardtop and discussing how to put a gentlemans chop (2-3 in.)on it a couple of weeks ago. Not that I would do it but a couple of inches could add to the profile. However it would make the roof to low for me at 6'3".

We were having trouble deciding how to do it without mucho difficulty and never did come to an easy decision. The vent windows and rear glass add to the difficulty.

I know it can be done because I've looked at a few of them and the hardtops have a decent look.

IMHO, chopping the 53/54 coupe is like chopping the 39/40 Ford coupe,(and darned if I don't have one of each), for every decent one you'll see 50 P.O.S. Just makes the windows to small.

If you decide to go ahead, good luck and please post on the forum.

Bob

Comment

I remember something like 20 years ago there was an article in Car Craft (or the like) of how to do a Gentleman's chop - essentially, just dropping the front and leaving the rear window intact.

--george

1963 Lark Daytona HT - 63V J8 175

Comment

Upon further review, Look at Pat Dillings 53 coupe, he got it right.

Comment

Sorry to disappoint you, but there really is no practical way to chop the top on a 53 Studebaker. There IS a better way to chop a top if you feel the urge to do so, and that is to buy a late-model Toyurda or something similar, and just take a sawzall to it. In fact, You really don't have to BUY it--just try it on one that is handy! Hope that helps you some.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 1953 stude

THANKS KEN
              Just how tall are you? You may consider adding a sun roof at the same time.

Lark Parker

Just an innocent possum strolling down life's highway.
              sigpic
              Lark Parker --Just an innocent possum strolling down life's highway.

Comment

Working...
              X