Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

help on bodywork

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body: help on bodywork

How do you separate (and most importantly reinstall) the chrome air intake slots below the headlights on my Hawk. I need to get them rechromed. Thanks in advance. Click image for larger version

Name:	stude valance.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	1802350

They should have a row of small flat headed screws around the back of the insert. Mine were badly corroded,( metal screws in potmetal), and I had a few of them break off. Good luck with it.

Comment

Mine seem to be fixed by rolled over metal of some sort. guess it could be corrosion, I'll look again. Thanks for the response

Comment

On several different Hawks, I cut off the rivet heads, pulled off the sheet metal, and drilled out the rivets and tapped the holes.
        A real pita, as you have to be very careful to not drill too deep (through). Tapping took two taps, a regular tap to start and then a home made bottoming tap to finish. A couple of holes took a real short sheet metal screw.
        I am sure that there might be some twist rivets that would work, but this was done in an afternoon...

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I've disassembled three Hawks and a 53 Coupe, I found that an acetylene torch (using a welding tip to concentrate the heat) on each of the fasteners made an impossible job a little easier, an old blacksmith one time said to use heat and lubrication to loosen tight fasteners

Comment

I did mine just a Jeff described. It is a tedious job, but it can be done. When drilling your holes to tap, be sure to keep your drill in proper alignment with the original boss and as Jeff said, don't go too deep. Good Luck.
            Wayne
            "Trying to shed my CASO ways"

sigpic‚Äč

Comment

Working...
            X