Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

FOM rebuild / update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FOM rebuild / update

I am now in need of a source, and references, for a rebuild kit (seals, plates, bands, etc) for the trans in the Provincial. A search came up with http://www.autotran.us/#S, David Edwards, and http://www.transtarindustries.com/
    sigpic
    Ross.
    Riverside, Ca.
    1957 Provincial X2
    1958 Transtar

Probably is the transmission but I would first check the U joints, rear axles (assuming you still have tapered axles), and be sure the U bolt nuts are tight. Phil Harris at Fairborn Studebaker has transmission overhaul kits.

Ted

quote:Originally posted by Rosstude

I am now in need of a source, and references, for a rebuild kit (seals, plates, bands, etc) for the trans in the Provincial. A search came up with http://www.autotran.us/#S, David Edwards, and http://www.transtarindustries.com/

Comment

Kits and bands are also available from FATSCO but I'd deal with Studebaker vendors first. These are the guys that keep us alive.

Brad Johnson
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      33 Rockne 10
      51 Commander Starlight
      53 Commander Starlight

previously: 63 Cruiser, 62 Regal VI, 60 VI convertible, 50 LandCruiser
      "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

Thanks all,you are great I did peek under the wagon while my wife had it in gear, no movement on the shafts, its the trans
        Stude vendors it is, come Monday

Ross.
        Riverside, Ca.
        1957 Provincial X2
        1958 Transtar
        1963 Lark. F.S.
        sigpic
        Ross.
        Riverside, Ca.
        1957 Provincial X2
        1958 Transtar

Comment

Ross, get some photos of what you find and what you do regarding this venture.

Miscreant adrift in
          the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I plan on taking lots of pictures, mainly for my own reference, I have never taken one of these apart, and it will be spread on the bench for over a week, so the pictures will help jog my mind. I will post some pic's of the carnage. Did not get it out today, had to do some brake, and routine maintenance work to the Transtar as it will be in daily service for a while.
            Harbor Freight has a trans adapter on sale, so I am doing a little shopping first

Ross.
            Riverside, Ca.
            1957 Provincial X2
            1958 Transtar
            1963 Lark. F.S.
            sigpic
            Ross.
            Riverside, Ca.
            1957 Provincial X2
            1958 Transtar

Comment

Hi Ross,
              Back in 1985(?), Stan Gundry wrote an article for Turning Wheels on doing, just what you are about to. There were some technical points, but mostly stressed being patient, using a clean workspace and follow the shop manual.
              The article opened with "Well I used to advise against doing this yourself...."
              So it appears the task isn't overwhelming. If you ake pics andmake a few notes, this, might well, be a good supplement to that article. Best of luck
              64 GT Hawk (K7)
              1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

sigpic
                Ross.
                Riverside, Ca.
                1957 Provincial X2
                1958 Transtar

Comment

Ahhhh, off to a good start. I'll keep your notes and pics for reference. I have one of those, plus a long tail unit and a Powershift, all waiting in the wings..
                  64 GT Hawk (K7)
                  1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

NOT for the faint of heart, eh Ross?[xx(] From that blue-colored data plate, I'd gather this is an AS2-5J or maybe a 5P Will you confirm for me? I wanna know if it jibes with what the Hollanders says.

Miscreant adrift in
                    the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                    1960 Larkvertible V8
                    1958 Provincial wagon
                    1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I'm not that familiar with FOM's. Is that a cast iron case or aluminum?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Tom - Lakeland, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Michigan Speed - www.michiganspeed.com
                      Club Hot Rod - www.clubhotrod.com
                      LS1 Tech - www.ls1tech.com
                      Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                      1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Since it died slowly and the fluid is burnt and stinky, it could very well be a band that was slipping. It's probably not the front pump but if for some reason it is, it very difficult to get all the metal shavings out of every nook and cranny. Putting a new one in is risky because of the shavings still hanging around.

Comment

It's a cast iron case.[xx(]

Miscreant adrift in
                          the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                          1960 Larkvertible V8
                          1958 Provincial wagon
                          1953 Commander coupe

Comment

Ross; that Turquoise Green nameplate looks just like all our '56 & '57's were. I think it is the correct trans, not that it matters. You will find the most common damage in these is the clutch drum piston seals, which of course looses pressure and wipes out the clutches. Really thats about all that normally goes bad in these except the steel rings and front case bushing, front & rear seals, all normal rebuild stuff, none of which will cause failure. I think/hope you will find it to be in pretty good shape, especially after 49 years! Go for it, Ross! [^]

StudeRich
                            Studebakers Northwest
                            Ferndale, WA
                            StudeRich
                            Second Generation Stude Driver,
                            Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Definitely cast iron, and moving it from the jack to the dolly was a wake up as to how heavy it is, and then onto the bench was indeed a job for the cherry picker. It is a AS2-5J. I have studied the manual, searched extensively here and the NG, read several Chiltons, and a Motors Manual, and I understand the need for cleanliness, and approaching the task a subassembly at a time, rather than blowing all the bits apart at once. If I find metal shavings I most definitely will pull the converter, if not....maybe a good flushing of the converter..still undecided on that however, first things first. I will be ordering a parts tomorrow morning.

Ross.
                              Riverside, Ca.
                              1957 Provincial X2
                              1958 Transtar
                              1963 Lark. F.S.
                              sigpic
                              Ross.
                              Riverside, Ca.
                              1957 Provincial X2
                              1958 Transtar

Comment

Working...