No announcement yet.

ballast resistor on a 12V setup...Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Different animal,camden. Your pertronics will use the full 12 volt ignition source from the key switch.[I'm darn sure all electronic ignition does.] In danos case,we are using a jumper wire from the solenoid to put full voltage to the coil,for simplicity.[easier to get at,and easier to attach a wire than to get under the dash.]The power at the solenoid originates at the key switch.
    I'm not sure about the '63,but my '61 uses a resistance WIRE from the key switch[ignition ON location] which I would have to change to regular wire IF I installed a electronic ignition. Someone here can tell you if the '63 uses a resistance wire,or a resistor.

Oglesby,Il.
    "Studebaker? It must be hard to find parts for those!"
    Oglesby,Il.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by camden
      It shows the wire from the switch Ign. terminal and not the accessory terminal as per Tom B post. Would it be diff. in my case?
      Actually, I don't know of ANY car that should be wired from the accessory terminal on the ignition switch to the coil. The accessory terminal is to power the radio when the key is turned to the accessory position. This terminal is also "hot" when the key is in the run position, so it would power the coil, but it defeats the purpose of having an accessory position. You do not want power to the coil and points if you have the engine off and the key in the accessory position.

All cars ignitions should be wired from the "ignition" terminal on the key switch. The difference with the Pertronix ignition is that you don't want a resistor wire or ballast resistor in that circuit like you would with many point type ignitions.

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

[IMG][/IMG]

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

Working...
      X