1953 Starlight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What a plethora of knowledge.

This is looking better & better all the time.
    My garage has just enough room for it.

Thank you all.

Bob

Carry on, regardless

Comment

Hopefully the chassis has been beefed-up as far as frame, brakes, differential, springs, etc. Since this car started life as a Champion and not a Commander, it started with a very light and flexible frame, light duty springs, small brakes, etc. After putting a V8 into an A-H, I am sure that you understand about beefing up a chassis.

Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Gary, I cannot begin to explain what had to be done to that thing. EVERY part was different from side to side and front to rear. Doors, screens, struts, outriggers, towers, spring mounts...........EVERYTING. Even NOS parts wouldn't fit without some type of modification.
        I assure you, I don't want to do that again. Even for my all-time favorite car.....the 53 Starlight/Starline series.
        Maybe I should think a little more on this endeavor.

Carry on, regardless

Comment

Don't let Gary scare you *too* much if you have your heart set on a '53 and you found one (but it's a six.) yes the frame is lighter gauge but all the V-8 brake and rear end stuff bolts right on. I am guessing with an Olds motor either that has already been done or some other kind of rear end has been swapped in. If you do find that it has the stock brakes, that's just a good excuse to swap to discs. I'd consider the stock 55-up V-8 drums the minimum acceptable for a driver. You'll also want to add the later "batwing" crossmember for more structural integrity.

nate

--
          55 Commander Starlight
          http://members.cox.net/njnagel
          --
          55 Commander Starlight
          http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

quote:Originally posted by N8N

Don't let Gary scare you *too* much if you have your heart set on a '53 and you found one (but it's a six.) yes the frame is lighter gauge but all the V-8 brake and rear end stuff bolts right on. I am guessing with an Olds motor either that has already been done or some other kind of rear end has been swapped in. If you do find that it has the stock brakes, that's just a good excuse to swap to discs. I'd consider the stock 55-up V-8 drums the minimum acceptable for a driver. You'll also want to add the later "batwing" crossmember for more structural integrity.

nate
            I wasn't trying to scare him. If the car was built correctly, all of these items have been attended to. If it wasn't built correctly, that may be the reason for the sale. Of course all of these things can be corrected, but it all takes time/money/effort. These should factor into the price and decision to purchase.
            The batwing applies to a Starliner and this car is a Starlight.

Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

I'm confused about the weight of the frames between Champion and Commander. I was under the impression that the 50s frames were the same, it was the 59-64 frames that were lighter on the six cylinder Larks, not the C & Ks. Can anyone straighten this out?

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
              Tom Bredehoft
              '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
              '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
              (Under Construction 564 hrs.)
              '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
              All Indiana built cars

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Tom B

I'm confused about the weight of the frames between Champion and Commander. I was under the impression that the 50s frames were the same, it was the 59-64 frames that were lighter on the six cylinder Larks, not the C & Ks. Can anyone straighten this out?

Tom Bredehoft

This won't straighten it out. A lot of confusion comes from repair parts. If you look up the frame it will list one part number in the parts book. This is because one part was used as a replacement. This one part can replace two, or more, original parts. This does not mean that the original parts were the same, just that they can be replaced by one part. This cuts down on inventory quantity/expense.

Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Working...
                X