Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

valve cover replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• valve cover replacement

I've got a 1959 289 4-bbl and I have a set of neoprene gaskets to fix the valve cover. I don't need any RTV or other sealant for the gasket do I? It's just a dry gasket, isn't it?

Personally, I always use rtv on the valve cover side & a thin skim coat of grease on the cylinder head side of the gasket so removal for valve adjustment or whatever is easy.

60 Lark convertible
    61 Champ
    62 Daytona convertible
    63 G.T. R-2,4 speed
    63 Avanti (2)
    66 Daytona Sport Sedan
    59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
    60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
    61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
    62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
    62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
    62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
    63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
    63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
    64 Zip Van
    66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
    66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

quote:Originally posted by allparman

I've got a 1959 289 4-bbl and I have a set of neoprene gaskets to fix the valve cover. I don't need any RTV or other sealant for the gasket do I? It's just a dry gasket, isn't it?
      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

What Jeff said.
        That's the way I also install new rocker cover gaskets.....though I normally don't use grease on the head side.
        Tried it (that's the way my dad did it too)...didn't see any benefits, don't do it anymore. The covers still come off with about the same light whack with a rubber mallet on the end.

Mike

Comment

I don't use RTV unless I have to because of the risk of it ending up in a oil passage. I just use weatherstrip cement on the cover side.

JDP/Maryland
          "I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."
          Thomas Jefferson
          JDP Maryland

Comment

I use something like Permatex High Tack or generic equivalent to essentially Glue and seal the gasket to the stamped sheet metal vave cover and keep it in position during assembly. Then, I clean the sealing surface on the cyl head with lacquer thinner or mineral spirits, then reinstall. Though it has its' place when used sparingly for sealing larger gaps between gaskets and machined surfaces,"RTV" is a viscous substance that is usually displaced when the gasketed part is fastened down--oozing right into the engine. I've seen it. You sure don't want that stuff getting loose and blocking oil passages.

Comment

Well, fine. Go ahead and put all the RV you want on(and in) your engine. Like they say, your car; your choice. But, I'd just as soon not have chunks of trash in my engine oil. Just doesn't make good sense, to Me.

Comment

Well, that's a hoot.
                If a guy is going to be sloppy with RTV, then he's going to be sloppy with any gasket glue.
                RTV and fuel system stuff isn't a good idea, because gasoline will dissolve it.
                But The Permatex RTV I suggested is specifically made to do what I reccomended, and it has been succesful in MILLIONS of automobiles/trucks/boats/planes over the years.
                I have never had a bad experience using Permatex Ultra Black (and Ultra Copper) when used properly, and according to instructions.
                My suggestions are based on personal and professional success stories, and also failures.
                Over the years I have had to do warranty claims that involved sealants, and their improper use.
                Technology has evolved, and some of the modern sealants are amazing and very, very application specific.
                Muselage (horse hoof glue) will work too[:0][xx(]
                Nobody should have trash in their oil or engine...ever.
                If somebody does have trash in their engine, it is because they either didn't get the old trash out, or they put new trash in.
                That is not an accident.
                That is quality work, or the lack thereof...
                Hope the clarification info helps.
                Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by JBody

Well, fine. Go ahead and put all the RV you want on(and in) your engine. Like they say, your car; your choice. But, I'd just as soon not have chunks of trash in my engine oil. Just doesn't make good sense, to Me.
                HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Working...
                X