Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Defroster motor with noisy bearing

Hello group,

Short of disassembling the defroster blower motor on our '54 Commander Starliner, whst is the easiest way to oil the bearing in the end of the motor indicated in the attached photo?

Kindest regards,

Alan Mende
    Hummelstown, PA

I'm not a mechanic; I don't even play one on TV.
    Kindest regards,

Alan Mende
    Grantville, PA

I'm not a mechanic; I don't even play one on TV.

Right where you have the arrow on the top end of the ball I drilled a 1/8 inch hole and put a few drops of oil. Drill easy when it breaks through stop. It worked on mine

7G-Q1 49 2R12 10G-F5 56B-D4 56B-F2
    As soon as you find a product you like they will stop making it.

Comment

Grainger Industrial Supply has (almost) bolt-on replacement motors that run at about the right rpm in both 6 and 12 volt for a very reasonable price, if yours won't quiet down. I did have to saw about 1/8" off of the mounting studs to give clearance for the squirrel cage inside the heater case.
      I can't take credit for this great cross-over part discovery, I believe it was "Michidan" who found them. By the way, there are several other posts on heater and defroster blower motors, if you do a search.

1950 Champion 4 Dr.
      Holdrege NE
      John
      1950 Champion
      W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
      Holdrege NE

Comment

If it is noticeably noisy, you may have an issue. Being a CASO I've resurrected lots of these; usually it takes two "parts" motors to make one good one. If it is noisy, likely one of the bushings is frozen to the armature shaft, and it's 50/50 when you go to disassemble the motor whether it'll pop free or if the bushing will pull its retainer out of the motor case. In the latter case, you can save the armature but you'll need a different motor case half, as I have never been able to successfully reinstall the pressed in bushing retainer.

When I do take them apart, I usually smear a little synthetic wheel bearing grease on the shaft where it rides in the bushing to prevent future corrosion. I don't know if that is the factory recommended method, but it works for me. If you do the drill the hole thing make sure you seal it back up with some dum dum or silicone or something so it doesn't corrode back up again.

good luck

nate

--
        55 Commander Starlight
        http://members.cox.net/njnagel
        --
        55 Commander Starlight
        http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Working...
        X