Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TX Rebel
    replied
    What a crew of jerks to rush the cars over the scale when they don't bring squat now! I have a '50 Champ which I was going to crush 8 years ago and have since sold more off of it than those bozos got in scrap for their whole lot. Collectible car parts sell, but they do not sell fast which simply means that they pay their dividends over a long period of time. Salvage yard operators who are accustomed to quick turn-overs don't have the patience to hold a rare oldie long enough to cash in.
    It is a shame that an old car guy did not get them instead of the Salvage bozos.

Barry'd in Studes

Leave a comment:

• Neal in NM
    replied
    I went to take some pictures before I flew back south and they were lining them up for the crusher. I didn't have the heart to take any pics. All of the vehicles were four doors and the lark just had the engine rebuilt. I toyed with the idea of cashing in my plane ticket and driving it home but I didn't have the time. My applogies if I got anyones hopes up. Neal

Leave a comment:

• DEEPNHOCK
    replied
    Interesting to see the reaction from the bleachers here...
    Also interesting to see the marketplace do its' normal gyrations and fluctuations.
    When scrap metal prices spiked mid year (2008) I saw hundreds of old cars being yanked out from behind countless sheds, barns, carports, pastures, and woods...heading to the crusher and scrap metal yards.
    Portable car crushers were running overtime all over.
    Older machines generate more scrap per cubic foot of storage space, so it is inevitable that a scrap steel merchant would make the inevitable value judgement and scrap the old stuff first.
    And figure this..
    The 'used part' merchant makes most of his money on models that are still out on the road.
    The 'collectible' merchant will have to wait for that special someone who is restoring one to buy stuff off of an older piece in a yard.
    The simple fact that it/they (old models and Stude's) were offered up to the collector is commendable.
    But it seems criticism on forums precedes action in the real world.
    Excuses like 'no room', or 'too far away', or 'too expensive' are just that...excuses.
    But the scrap metal price, and the scrap metal merchant makes the ultimate decision.
    Stephen Allen Auto is a great example.
    Stephen Cade (a great guy btw) had a long standing agreement with all the boneyards in the southeast.... Any Stude's were hung on to and he would buy them (or get first shot at buying them).
    A pretty good arrangement for both parties. A scrapyard had a pretty good handle on knowing that old stude could make a quick and easy buck as compared the that '62 Buick 4 door.
    But, as history has proven out with this hobby (and it is a hobby to the end user)... Prices are determined by supply and popularity.
    Stude types are/were so spoiled by an abundance of inexpensive Studebaker parts (and cars) that the marketplace value reflected this.
    Not surprising since Studebaker was number 6 (iirc) in the country when they stopped manufacturing cars.
    Lots of base stock in cars and parts available.
    Now, 4 decades later, those supplies are drying up, and the prices are adjusting up (and rightly so).
    But the attitude of many Stude types has 'not adjusted'...well..let's say 'not adjusted well'.
    Toss a recession/depression into the mix, and you get vocal comments about how awful this is, or that is.
    Says more about the individual than the marketplace imoho...
    People that wait and pay current market value for everything are going to pay top dollar, no matter what the widget is.
    Speculation and investing take education, planning, and execution, and not just passion.
    The Studebaker hobby is no different, and several have made it their business.
    More power to them, and the decisions they have to make.
    One man's opinion.
    Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by bob40

Remember this from last year?
    These are all parts cars.<snip>
    While I agree that it's great to try and save any Studebaker
    from the crusher the reality is last year when car bodies hit $240 a ton
    not many would step up and pay crush weight.
    <snip>
    http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock

Leave a comment:

• bob40
    replied
    Remember this from last year?
    These are all parts cars.No titles,rusty non runners missing bits here and there.All are on wheels and will roll. Bring your trailer and cash.
    Cars are being sold as is and no parts are being sold off them.
    1952 Commander Hardtop.No engine or trans.Front doghouse(fenders,hood grille)gone.Has good glass and complete interior. $200.00
    1956 Champion 4 door sedan. Complete(except for missing floors) 6 cyl w/3 speed overdrive trans. $200.00
    1956 Commander 4 door sedan.Complete minus grille.V8 auto trans.Dana 44 rear end $200.00
    1959 Lark 4 door.V8 3 speed w/overdrive. $250.00
    1962 Lark 4 door. V8 auto trans. 3.31 Dana 44 Twin Traction rear.
    $275.00
    1962 Lark 4 door V8 3 speed trans. $250.00
    1963 Lark 2 door sedan.No engine or trans.Missing hood. $250.00
    I eventually advertised them at $125.00 each.The '52 went to
    North Dakota and I gave the '62 Lark with TT to a Forum member.
    The rest were crushed.There are a lot of talkers about "saving"
    Studebakers but few that are willing to do so out of their area.
    Mistake by crushing them? Think about it,guys.Add up the cost of
    buying 60 cars and then moving them to a different location.Dont
    forget the time you invest.I moved 13 cars in the deal with the
    cars listed above and even with volunteer help from the local
    chapter it raised the cost of each car significantly.Just look
    at how much space 60 cars takes up.Space is money at a salvage yard.
    Most cannot afford to leave cars sitting so they can be picked at by
    enthusiasts.While I agree that it's great to try and save any Studebaker
    from the crusher the reality is last year when car bodies hit $240 a ton
    not many would step up and pay crush weight.I still am picking up the odd
    single car here and am also hoping to pick up a 60+ Stude collection but
    doing the math on moving them plus parting out time makes it a break even
    adventure at best.

Leave a comment:

• Dick Steinkamp
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by StudeDave57

quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp
    What else should they have done? Why didn't YOU buy them? Dick Steinkamp
    [size=4][font=Comic Sans MS][b]Knowing a bit about the story Mike's talking about- I can say this.

Dick~ I think it's a safe bet you never saw what Mike and I did.
    What a shame. [xx(] [B)] You'd say the same thing he did.
    Those guys made a HUGE mistake crushing what they did. [V]

They all can't be saved. We did try our best, though... [:0]

Sorry...I thought he was referring to the Olympia cars.

I know nothing of the mystery 60 car cruah-a-thon.

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Leave a comment:

• StudeDave57
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp
    What else should they have done? Why didn't YOU buy them? Dick Steinkamp
    Knowing a bit about the story Mike's talking about- I can say this.

Dick~ I think it's a safe bet you never saw what Mike and I did.
    What a shame. [xx(] [B)] You'd say the same thing he did.
    Those guys made a HUGE mistake crushing what they did. [V]

They all can't be saved. We did try our best, though... [:0]

StudeDave '57 [8D]

edited for spelling...

Leave a comment:

• Dick Steinkamp
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by hotwheels63r2

I dont want to see any pictures of anything that went to waste.

Reminds me of the other yard near there that sent 60 Studebakers to the crusher last year.

Real smart guys.

What else should they have done?

Why didn't YOU buy them?

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    It is Weds. Nov. 19, at 4:00 PM PST, I talked to Rick at Allan Auto parts in Olympia, he says TOO LATE! They are flattened and now on the Truck to go to the shredder! [xx(] [xx(]

He's an OK guy and understood, but he said the owner said to "crush them" seeing no response, one SDC member from Calif. stopped in and looked, that's about it he said. And they DID try the Internet to sell them for only $300.00 and no bites.

There was: "a car that looked like a '57 Silver Hawk, a 4 Dr. Lark, 4 Bullet nose 4 Dr models. There were Overdrive Transmissions, good stainless trim a rebuilt engine etc. etc".
    I told him to call me if any more show up. They are no longer selling parts, just want to pick up cars and crush them. Scrap cars there are $29.00 a ton and he will have to start charging to pick up soon.

Thanks for reporting this Neil, we'd still like to see what we missed if you already got the pics.

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA

Leave a comment:

• Neal in NM
    replied
    I am trying to get to get pics before I return home but I don't know if it is in the cards. My brother gave me the phone number (360) 943-2800. Ricks towing 1630 South Bay Rd NE Olympia, WA 98506. I hope you can save something because these guys are serious about crushing them. Neal

Leave a comment:

• StudeDave57
    replied
    What year are the Commanders (and the Lark)???

StudeDave '57 [8D]
    San Diego, Ca. (for now...)
    San Diego County SDC

www.studebakersandiego.com

'54 Commander Regal 4dr 'Ruby'
    '57 Parkview 'Betsy' (she's a 2dr wagon)
    '57 Commander DeLuxe 2dr 'Baby'
    '57 Champion Custom 2dr 'Jewel'
    '58 Packard sedan 'Cleo'
    '65 Cruiser 'Sweet Pea'

Part owner of the one and only
    '55 PROTOTYPE panel van

Leave a comment:

• Dan White
    replied
    Any pictures. Are they salvageable or only parts cars?

Dan White
    64 R1 GT
    64 R2 GT

Leave a comment:

• Neal in NM
    started a topic Olympia, WA

Olympia, WA

I am in Olympia, WA. at the moment and I went to a salvage yard. There are two complete champions (50-51) and three commanders and one lark. The owner told me that they were on craigs list without any response so he is going to crush them. If anyone is interested let me know and I will post the name and number of the yard BTW there are several commander and champion engines as well as overdirve transmissions laying loose. From what I understand all the Studebaker stuff came from an estate. Neal
Working...
X