Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what is the replacement for 670/15 tires ?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what is the replacement for 670/15 tires ?????

What is the proper replacement tire for 670/15 bias to radial. Also, 710/15 and 640/15...thanks...brad

Well, a 6.70 might be a bit larger in dia/Height, but you might visit a tire shop with your rim and start by trying out a 195-75-15 or a 205-75-15, two readily-available sizes. Modern tires have a lower aspect ratio. They are wider, relative to their diameter. otherwise,if that doesn't suit you,it is going to be a repro antique tire company like Coker Tire in Hemmings that can supply a very close match for your sizes.

Comment

You're not going to find anything close in BOTH height and width. Old tire had a 100% aspect ratio, in other words a tire 6.7 inches wide was also 6.7 inches from the rim to the outside of the tire. A 165 metric tire will be close to the width but only a little over 5 inches high with a 75% aspect rration. Besides, I don't think you'd ever find a 165X75X15, most of those widths are 13s. To get the same height, you'll need a 225X75X15 which will be close to 9 inches wide and may very well be too wide for the fenderwells. I used to run 215X75X15 on my Hawk with Chrysler wheels. They were just about as big as I could go. One problem was the Chrysler wheels had less offset than the Stude wheels and the former stuck out farther. I didn't want to go with Stude wheels because mine were only 5 inches wide and did not have safety rims. A 5 inch is kind of narrow for a 215. With wider wheels that had more offset to the inside, you could probably go wider. On the Chrysler wheels I have (mid 70s-80s), the difference in width between a 5.5 and 6.5 inch width is all on the outside where the least amount of room is. Just remember that 1 inch is approximately 25 millimeters, which is what the first number on metric tires denotes. The second number is the aspect ratio or tire height stated as a percentage. Hope this helps.

Comment

I faced a dilemma, exactly as explained by John K. I stumbled across a solution that was good enough (for me, anyway).
        I wanted to replace a 17" x-ply with something radial. I found a 4-wheel drive tyre at 205x16, but SERIES 85, which made it a very "tall" tyre. It was labelled as "95% road pattern" and has worked a treat eversince. (I did have to rework the 17" rims, though, but the end result was well worth the effort).
        The 205x16 tyre came out of Asia. Don't know if you can get 'em in your place. But if you don't ask .......
        /H

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Challenger

Well, a 6.70 might be a bit larger in dia/Height, but you might visit a tire shop with your rim and start by trying out a 195-75-15 or a 205-75-15, two readily-available sizes. Modern tires have a lower aspect ratio. They are wider, relative to their diameter. otherwise,if that doesn't suit you,it is going to be a repro antique tire company like Coker Tire in Hemmings that can supply a very close match for your sizes.
          195s are pretty much unobtanium now. They were suggested as the replacement for 6.00x15 bias ply. I ran 225x75x15s on 6.5 inch MoPar rims on my '64 Avanti to get the correct 6.70x15 height. I didn't have any problems with rubbing, but I had trouible with the fenders hitting the tire on hard turns and a bump. However, my odometer and speedometer were vitrually dead-on accurate with the 225s. I checked a ten-mile stretch using the Interstate mile markers and I recorded 10.1 miles in ten miles. 205x75s will make your speedometer and odometer read faster and further than you are actually going. For example, a speedometer reading of 65 may be only 58 or so and ten recorded miles may only be 8+.

[img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/64%20Daytona%20Convertible/Copy%20of%20DaytonaConvert7-20-06.JPG[/img=right]

Paul Johnson
          '53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
          '64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
          '64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
          Museum R-4 engine
          Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
          '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

I know this is a old topic but I did a search and found it,[8D] and I wanted to ask... what if you split the differnce between a 205 and a 225 and put a 215/75-15 on it??? anyone done this??

Randy_G
            This website is for sale! automotivehistoryonline.com is your first and best source for information about automotivehistoryonline. Here you will also find topics relating to issues of general interest. We hope you find what you are looking for!

Comment

I ran 215x75x15 on 5.5" Chrysler rims on my Hawk with no problems as far as clearance goes. Don't know how fender clearance compares on Larks though.

Comment

Unobtainium? NOT SO! See this link for Firestone reproduction tires 6.70 x 15" with 1 inch whitewall. This is virtually identical to the tires used 1962-1964. The price: $130 each (ouch).
                "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

I've never seen a reproduction tire up close, so I'm not familiar with their carcass construction. If it's anything like the orginals, I sure wouldn't waste my money on them unless the car's strictly for show. Those old jobs were bias ply construction and at high speeds, centrifigual force would make them taller but narrower, reducing the size of the contact patch. They'd also squirm like a snake at higher speeds. I once saw a high speed photography clip of a bias ply tire at 70 mph and the tire reminded me of when you take a rope and whip it side to side turning it into an S pattern. I could be wrong, but I think it wasn't until the letter series tires that belted construction became common. Those tires had a 78% aspect ratio and the belt around the circumference of the tire kept them from getting tall, skinny and squirmy at high speeds. The same film clip also showed a belted tire at the same speed and it didn't grow, squirm or do anything acrobatic and the tread stayed on the pavement nice and flat. To me, for a car being used as a driver, modern tires on safety rims are in the same "save your butt" category as upgrading your brakes.

Comment

I did some checking before and the 195 x 75R15s were the tires that were becoming hard to get. If you find a source, let us all know.

I also believe in the safety of radial tires, heck with the judging.

FYI, radial tires have a "shelf life" that seems to be a maximum of 10 years or so from manufacture, while bias ply tires seem to hold air forever, even though they may be rotten as well.

Paul R

Comment

Try:.........www.dakota-truck.net go to "tire and wheel calculator"................Brad

Comment

Found another calculator...........www.galaxieclub.com I found this site on Yahoo and it does a slick conversion from oldies to radial..............Brad

Comment

On the topic of a bias ply holding air forever just check out the photo below of my Lark. It has 3 bias ply tires on it all holding air. The one flat is a radial, the car was last registered in 1984. I have no idea how old these tires are but they are still holding air. also I think that when I do finaly get to put a set of tires on it I will go with the 215/75-15's log on to walmart.com and you can get one for under $50.00 bucks for a whitewall. Cheaper than Coker and alot of other retro tire places.

Randy_G
                          This website is for sale! automotivehistoryonline.com is your first and best source for information about automotivehistoryonline. Here you will also find topics relating to issues of general interest. We hope you find what you are looking for!

Comment

I could not find any Cooker style wide whites on Walmart's web site you posted.

64 Commander 2 dr.
                            63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk (Black) #2
                            63 Avanti R1
                            63 Daytona convert
                            63 Lark 2 door
                            63 Lark 2 door #2
                            62 Daytona HT/ 4 speed
                            62 Lark 2 door
                            62 GT Hawk 4 speed
                            60 Lark HT
                            60 Hawk
                            59 3E truck
                            52 Starliner
                            51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

I have a set of 6:40-15 Firestone, bias, tubeless with tubes, black wall tires that are almost new. I would guess they are less than four years old and probably don't have 200 miles on them. They were on my 50 Starlight when I got the car. These were the tires that replaced the cars original ones, which I still have also. I replaced them with P205/75R 15 Kumho tires. Wow! What an improvement.

Soooo... anyone interested in four, like new, 6:40-15's? Make an offer.

Dick
                              Mountain Home, AR

dick@century21lemac.com

Dick
                              Mountain Home, AR
                              http://www.livingintheozarks.com/studebaker2.htm

Comment

Working...
                              X