Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Head Work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Head Work

Hi all,

I'm in the process of fitting a Paxton S.C. set up to my '62 Hawk, and thought while the engine is out of the vehicle, (I'm also doing a colour change), I'd have the valves and seats set up for Unleaded petrol. The current valves are stock size, but the engine does have a mild cam fitted, (by the previous owner), from what information I can get it is probably a R1/2. Do you suggest I have larger valves fitted for the S.C. set up ?

Cheers
    Matt
    Brisbane
    AUSTRALIA
    Matt
    Brisbane
    Australia
    sigpic

Visit my Blog: http://www.mattsoilyrag.blogspot.com.au/

Hawk -

There's a lot more to it than just installing larger valves if better performance is your goal.
    You can put the R3 intake valves in, with a good 3 angle valve grind and maybe pickup 4% or 5% better flow.

Or, you can have some nice bowl work done on your existing 1.75" dia. valves, with a "proper" 3 angle valve grind and pickup a little more...for most likely less money.

Or...you can install the R3 (1.875")and have a little more flow.

OR...you can spend a little more and and have the ports actually properly ported with the original 1.75" valve.

Or....you can spend a little more and and have the ports actually properly ported with the 1.875" valve.
    Now you're up to about $1500.00 for a good head.

In any case...just instal hard seats on the exhaust side if your actually gonna drive the car hard. Don't waste the money if it's gonna be a show queen or just an around town car. The stock exhaust seats will hold up reasonably well in this case. There's absolutly no reason to put larger exhaust valves in, no matter what you do.

Overall, from your note above, I'd have someone do some good "bowl" port work (intake and exhaust), save the large valve money for a proper 3 angle valve job and the bowl work, you'll be much happier.
    NOTE - bowl work, is "porting" from the valve seat to about the end of the valve guide.

If you want...head over to the "Studebaker Racing site", type in "head work" into the "search function". You'll have hours of reading.

Have fun.

Mike

Comment

Hi Matt. You might also want to post your question over on the racing forum -which is a great resource for Studebaker performance info. Here's the link:

http://racingstudebakers.com/stl-web...n/bb/index.php

http://community.webshots.com/user/s...host=community

Comment

Matt
        I believe you can use Holden v8 (308) valves in the stude motor.
        From memory my Gt motor has them and the new R2 motor I'm doing will have them with the hardend seats for unleaded fuel.
        PB
        Western Australia

Comment

As always, MVV gives sound advice.

Holden V8s are Chevrolet-based. The SBC valves were used because they were inexpensive and there was a time when R3 valves were not readily available. However, SBC valves are shorter in length than Studebaker valves. This requires the rocker stands to be milled shorter and the pushrods to be shortened. Since R3 valves are readily available, it is the recommended way to go.

Bottom line, giving a good head/intake porter a set of R3 intake valves and a bunch of money is the single best improvement one can make in building a supercharged Studebaker V8. If the pressurized air/fuel can't get in past the small OEM port and valve, all the other good work is for naught.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
          PackardV8

Comment

Thank you Gentlemen,

I can always rely on some great advice from this site.

Regards

Matt
            Brisbane
            Australia
            Matt
            Brisbane
            Australia
            sigpic

Visit my Blog: http://www.mattsoilyrag.blogspot.com.au/

Comment

When Studebaker installed the R2 engines in 1963 they raised the hood line to clear
              the superchargers.
              I am not sure but I think the 1962 hood will not clear.
              You may be able to use the lower (thinner) front motor mounts or get a 1957-58
              Golden Hawk hood.The 1963-64 Hawk hoods will not fit the 1962 unless you change the front grilles and rework the front of the fenders.
              Anyone has done this before?

Comment

Raised the hood line on the 63 Hawks? Never heard of that. Anyone else know anything about this?

I have had 62 and 63 Hawks at the same time and never noticed any change in the hood line.

David L
                David L

Comment

quote:The 1963-64 Hawk hoods will not fit the 1962 unless you change the front grilles and rework the front of the fenders.
                  The '63-64 differences I have noticed are restricted to the sides at front of the hood where it mates up with the side grilles. AFAIK, it is no higher than the '62 hood. Hard to believe it could have gone un-noticed around here all this time, but am sure someone will measure and confirm or deny.

thnx, jack vines.

PackardV8
                  PackardV8

Comment

I have been using intake valves for GM 6.2 diesel. Head dia. is 1.81. stem is the same as studebaker and it is .019 shorter than stock. I use a .020 lash cap. Jim

Comment

Jim -

While that may get the geometry close, it's too much hassle...just buy the correct valves!
                      Unless you get your diesel valves and lash caps free or nearly free...what's the point?
                      The valves from Freeborn aren't expensive.

Mike

Comment

Hi, Jim/Mike,

I no longer have the notes on the exact weights, but another Stude owner heard about this valve swap and brought me a set of diesel valves and lash caps to use. IIRC, the diesel valves were heavier than the hubs of hell. This build was for street performance and I was able to show him the extra weight of the valves would overcome the springs at a relatively low RPM, compared to stock R3 valves. Without weighing the valves Diesel Jim is using, I can't say his are heavy, but those I weighed were too heavy to be considered replacements.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
                        PackardV8

Comment

Mike. I did this before I knew the R3 valves were that aviable. Jack. Thanks for the note on weight. I will be checking them as we are building a R2 to clone a 63 into a super Lark. The one set of heads I have on my 54 3R11 , R1 cam. Closing valve spring pressure in 100 psi. The valves haven't floated yet. Jim

Comment

Aussie Hawk
                            Holden valves are longer than there Chev counterparts and fit without modification to the rocker assembly.
                            Your choice however. If R3 vavles are readiy available then go for it.
                            A friend of mine has a supercharged 62 Gt Hawk here in Perth using the Avanti supercharger bracket. Fits well with no mods that I can think of.

pb

Comment

Aussie Hawk
                              Holden valves are longer than there Chev counterparts and fit without modification to the rocker assembly.
                              Your choice however. If R3 vavles are readiy available then go for it.
                              A friend of mine has a supercharged 62 Gt Hawk here in Perth using the Avanti supercharger bracket. Fits well with no mods that I can think of.

pb

Comment

Working...
                              X