Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

undercarriage of 54 starliner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• undercarriage of 54 starliner

CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHERE I CAN FIND PHOTOS OF THE UNDERNEATH OF A 1954 COMMANDER STARLINER. I AM ESPECIALLY INTERESTED IN SAY FROM BACK OF FRONT TIRES TO FRONT OF BACK TIRES AND LETS SAY 18 INCES FROM THE ROCKER PANELS TOWARD THE CENTER OF THE CAR...THIS IS PROBABLY A CRAZY INQUIRY BUT THERE APPEARS TO BE SOME METAL MISSING ESPECIALLY ON THE PASSENGER SIDE... ANY HELP OUT THERE???MANY THANKS CLAUDE

If you are talking about between the frame rails and the rocker panels under passenger compartment, Hardtops have Torque Boxes (hog troughs) welded to the floor in there, I believe Classic Enterprises, a Turning Wheels advertiser MAY make those.

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Classic does NOT make 'hog troughs' for a 54 K-body. The only place I know that one can get corect hog troughs and floors for a 53-58 K body is from Cary Fabricating in VA.

Comment

Claude - If you are interested in total OEM, I can't help. But here is a shot of my 54 hardtop on the rotisserie. The entire floor in your area of interest has been replaced with home made panels but the general shape is close and may serve as reference.

Bob

Comment

quote:Originally posted by sweetolbob
          But here is a shot of my 54 hardtop on the rotisserie.
          Nice work, Bob [].

I envy you guys that can weld THAT good! A real special talent.

Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Comment

We fabricated them for my 55 hardtop. Used the old ones for a template. CE sells them for the GT but not for the earlier K code. Used 18 gauge and a brake. Left one side open, drilled holes and puddle welded from top, then on the rotisserie finished the weld from the bottom and closed in the open side. They look right and matched up well with CE's floor panels and inner and outer rocker panels. The frame, itself, looks a little flimsy. Most cross members were riveted with a little tack weld here and there. Even where the bumper brackets connect it's pretty light looking. One good bumper hit and I don't know what would happen. Now looks like a good time to reinforce it, too. Good luck with it.
            Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

quote:Originally posted by sweetolbob
              But here is a shot of my 54 hardtop on the rotisserie.
              Nice work, Bob [].

I envy you guys that can weld THAT good! A real special talent.

Dick Steinkamp
              Bellingham, WA

If if one lives in Michigan like Bob and I do, one has to learn to weld......Lower foot of most cars are just GONE around here.

Comment

Amen brother.
                I had to redo rusty 52 tourque boxes from scratch. Without a rotissere means a lot of welding upside down. Good carharts are relatively resistant to the slag that falls on you. And of course the carharts are on because its so dang cold in the shop. Ahhh, Michigan.

www.studebakerhardtop.com

Comment

Working...
                X