Hill Holder?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hill Holder?

Body is of my 55 K-code and looking at the frame, there appears to be a hill holder on the other side of the frame from the master cylinder. I bought the car in rough condition and never had it on the road. This is a 259 Bearcat with an automatic. No overdrive. Did they still use hill holders or am I looking at something with a different purpose. Brake lines and electrical wires seem to be attached. If it is a hill holder, what should I be looking for to make sure it's working correctly before re-assembly?

Thanks all.
    Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

It may be a hill holder if your car was originally a standard shift vehicle but the automatic's have a "no roll" switch on the back of the transmission to control the backward roll at hilly stop signs. If you are seeing a hill holder it would be attached to your master cylinder and operated when the clutch in depressed.

Jim Caldwell
    "The view don't change if you ain't the lead dog"

Comment

The unit IS on the frame, similar to a Hill Holder, only the switches are on the Trans. If there are wires, it is a "Anti-Creep" switch not a Hill Holder.

The No-Roll valve is the manufacturer's (Wagner's) name for a Studebaker Hill Holder Unit.

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

I saw something similar in the Chassis parts book and it said "no roll". So I guess that's what I have. Does it need any special attention or should I re-assemble and worry about it if it screws up? Thanks for the reassurance!

Comment

And if it's an anti-creep, do they screw up or should I just ride it out, so to speak?

Comment

Yes, if the switches are in tact at the Throttle and brake pedal linkage and Trans. just run with it, and test it. Something has to tell the Anti-creep unit that you have stopped to turn on, and something has to tell it that you have touched the throttle to release the brake pressure, there should be a switch on the Throttle Bellcrank at the rear of the left Head, also check the wiring for disconnects or shorts (bare).

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Will do. Thanks, Rich & 55.

Comment

Working...
              X