Champ dual MC install with Hydrovac

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Champ dual MC install with Hydrovac

I am going to install a dual chamber mc on a 62 champ pu with frame mounted hydrovac. How do I keep the dual(front-rear) line split in hooking up the hydrovac? it presently goes from the single chamber mc to the hydrovac and then tees into the single brake line that feeds both front and rear brakes.
    [?]
    64 Champ long bed V8
    55/53 Studebaker President S/R
    53 Hudson Super Wasp Coupe

You either use the hydro for the front brakes or leave it out altogether. There's no way to use it on both circuits with a dual MC

Bob Johnstone

http://www.studebaker-info.org
    55 President State Sedan
    64 GT Hawk
    70 Avanti (R3)
    64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Bob is correct it is not possible to hook up a Stude hydrovac to a dual chamber MC and have power brakes front and back. You could have just power on one end or the other but I believe that would not be a safe way to run your brakes. There are quite a few threads on this subject since it seems to come up about once or twice a year. There are dual hydrovacs out there and some streetrod companies sell them but they are pricey. Ford and big Dodge trucks used dual hydrovacs into the 80s. The problem is that hydrovacs are between the MC and the brake calipers or cylinders, modern power boosters have the MC between the booster and calipers and/or cylinders.

Couldn't you use a firewall mounted booster setup from a Lark on your Champ?

Dan White
      64 R1 GT
      64 R2 GT
      Dan White
      64 R1 GT
      64 R2 GT
      58 C Cab
      57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

That's what I was afraid of after looking it over. I guess for now I will go without the hydrovac hooked up.
        I'm assuming that I will need a non-boosted brake pedal?
        Thanks!
        64 Champ long bed V8

Comment

No, same pedal.

JDP/Maryland
          "I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."
          Thomas Jefferson
          JDP Maryland

Comment

does the Champ still have a frame mounted MC? If so, is there enough room to use a street rod style conventional vacuum/mechanical brake booster between the pedal and the new MC?

nate

--
            55 Commander Starlight
            http://members.cox.net/njnagel
            --
            55 Commander Starlight
            http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

The 62 champ is frame mounted. The 64 I have has hanging pedals.
              Here is a note from Jim Turner about the hydrovac--
              "If you use an original Hydrovac, you will only be able to boost the front brakes. But, a NEW hydrovac is available and set up for a dual M/C. It is from Midland Brake in Midland Texas. I checked awhile back, and they are about $800 for a brand new dual unit."

53commander HDTP
              53 Champion HDTP
              64 Champ long bed V8
              64 Champ long bed V8

Comment

Working...
              X