X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• StudeMann
    replied
    Thanks guys,

The battery seems to retain the charge it has when sitting. It just doesn't seem to keep up to the drain of climatizer fan, radio, wipers etc. when running. I will check the fanbelt, the generator output and also see if there might be an Ignition Off Draw.

Cheers,

Jim

"Ahh, a bear in his natural habitat...a Studebaker!"
    Fozzie Bear in 'The Muppet Movie'

51 Land Cruiser (Elsie)
    Jim Mann
    Victoria, B.C.
    Canada

Leave a comment:

• CHAMP
    replied
    The first thing I would check is the fan belt?

GARY H 2DR.SEDAN 48 STUDEBAKER CHAMPION NORTHEAST MD.

Leave a comment:

• JimmieD
    replied
    Also if the battery seems to go low when vehicle is parked it could be an IOD, or Ignition Off Draw. Disconnect negative battery terminal and connect a voltmeter between disconnected cable and ground post on battery. Always best to wear protective eyewear when changing battery connection.

If the voltmeter shows any voltage at all with ignition off then you have a short somewhere causing an IOD. Sometimes possible to trace it down by progressively testing wires in the loom.

Leave a comment:

• 55 prez
    replied
    It sounds more like a generator problem to me. Check the generator output as it may just need new brushes. How are the wiring connections and is there any belt slippage?

Jim Caldwell
    "The view don't change if you ain't the lead dog"

Leave a comment:

• StudeMann
    started a topic The 'charge' ain't like it used to be

The 'charge' ain't like it used to be

I have a 1 year old 6V battery in my 51 Land Cruiser that is losing its charge even though I drive the car fairly often.

At idle the ammeter needle drops quite low below the charge line and when revved up the ammeter registers just a little above the charge line. When it's cold and raining, the drain of the defroster fan and the electric wipers pretty much knock out any possibility of charging the battery.

Is this likely the generator or the voltage regulator or both?

"Ahh, a bear in his natural habitat...a Studebaker!"
    Fozzie Bear in 'The Muppet Movie'

51 Land Cruiser (Elsie)
    Jim Mann
    Victoria, B.C.
    Canada
Working...
X