Another dumb tie rod question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another dumb tie rod question...

When reattaching the tie rods and reach rod to the bell crank, the rod ends spin in their sockets, so I can't get the castle nuts to tighten. I've tried pushing up on the rods to get the taper to engage with some friction, but no luck.

How do I tighten these castle nuts?

Las Vegas, NV - Stop by, coffee's on!
    '51 Champion Business Coupe G899965 10G-Q4-1434

It sounds like you've lubed the tapers. Disassemble them, wash them with lacquer thinner (it evaporates quicker than any other solvent) and put them together, giving the loose part a sharp rap with a hammer. If you haven't lubed them, I apologize. Take them apart and wash them with lacquer thinner, rap them after assembly and tighten the castle nuts.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
    Tom Bredehoft
    '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
    '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
    (Under Construction 564 hrs.)
    '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
    All Indiana built cars

Comment

Sometimes a jack and a block of wood and putting a little pressure on the joint that way will do it. If not cleaning and chasing the threads would help. Making sure the tapered part of the center bellcrank is not worn would also be helpful.
      Frank van Doorn
      Omaha, Ne.
      1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
      1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
      1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

I didn't deliberately lube the tapers, but they probably have a lot of grease that got on them when I took them apart... since the boots were destroyed during removal, they got greasy. I'll clean them off and try later. I just got talked into taking the 8 year old to the new Madagascar movie... kids are out of school for Veterans Day. If I survive the movie, I'll give it a shot this afternoon.

Comment

use a 1/2" drive air-impact wrench.. just "pull" the tie rod down into it's seat and BUUUURP! Then finish with a box-end wrench to align the castle nut with the cotter key hole.

Specializing in Studebaker Restoration
          Ray

www.raylinrestoration.com
          Specializing in Studebaker Restoration

Comment

I suspect the threads are buggered. If the nuts won't thread by hand all the way on easily, chase them with a die before you try again.

Comment

some tie rods have a screwdriver slot in the ends of the studs to help you with the rethreading/tightening. worth a look...

nate

--
              55 Commander Starlight
              http://members.cox.net/njnagel
              --
              55 Commander Starlight
              http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Got em... finally. Thanks for the helpful suggestions. The threads weren't buggered, that wasn't the problem. Once I got the threads started, the entire tie rod end would spin with the nut, since it was not "tight" in the tapered fit. I cleaned them with lacquer thinner and had to use the jack/wooden block on one. That pressed it high enough to grab in the taper. Used the impact wrench also. I guess it took all of the suggestions to get it done. Anyway, it's done. Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                X