No announcement yet.

Crank Pulley Hole Dimensions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Or you could install a new damper. See the above link to the Studebaker Racing Forum to see what I did.

David L
    David L

Comment

WOWSERS! Gosh all fishhooks, Mr Wizard!

Interesting that you went with an SBF flange; I was thumbing through the Summit catalog, saw a picture of the SBF mandrel assembly w/flange, and thought, "hmmmmm".

Change of subject (OK, thread hijack: Has anyone tried driving the critical accessories via gear of the cam/crank?

Ed

"No matter where you are...there you are!"
      Dr. Buckaroo Bonzai

Comment

There are drysump pump drives that use the cam drive on SBC's. You could make a drive system that uses the cam gear using a custom front cover.

What are you thinking of doing?

the reason that I used the Chevy pattern mandrel was that it is a very common part and I was using a Chevy damper with a custom built hub to mount it on a Studebaker.

David L
        David L

Comment

I've been lost in the diesel world for the last 20 years, and most of those things have an extensive gear chest at the front; injection, camshaft, and power steering, vacuum, air compressor pumps. Offies 4-holers, Millers, Ford, Novi, STUDE 4-cam V-8s, a lot of bikes, use gear drives as well. It seemed a natural, albeit muy expensivo, way to drive any auxiliaries on a Stude engine since they were already halfway there.

I was semi-thinkin' about using an external front-drive oil pump, though not a full dry sump (that's a separate fantasy), as well as a modern centrifugal s/c.

Ed

Dr. Buckaroo Bonzai

Comment

Scratch my "gear train" drive idea; can't work. It might have had a chance were the block front flat and the gear train entirely covered by a bolt on housing, but the Stude housing itself is in a large part cast integrally with the block, with the gear recessed into that. Oops.

Front drive off (and inline) with the cam would be difficult, too. Water pump pulley in the way, and losing that for a direct electric drive would be problematic, you'd still have to have a drive mandrel setup.

Like the man said, paraphrased, why make this any more difficult than it has too be?

Ed

Dr. Buckaroo Bonzai

Comment

Working...
            X