R2 Head Gasket Oil Leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R2 Head Gasket Oil Leak

I would appreciate your help/suggestion with an oil leak problem on a freshly rebuilt and broke in (~4000 miles) R2 Avanti. The leak is occurring at the rear of the block where an oil passage resides less than a half inch from the edge of the block. The oil passage at this point is larger in the block than in the head which may also be contributing to a poor seal at this point. The leak is apparently passing by the head gasket.

The engine oil pressure is 60 lbs cold and 45 to 50 lbs hot at speed about 25 to 30 at hot idle (700 RPM). Engine tempurature is good with no loss of coolant however I am loosing about a quart of oil every 100 miles through this head gasket leak. I have been using the thin metal head gasket. The machine shop is suggesting counter boring the oile passage in the head and placing an O ring in the counter bore to achive a better seal.

Have you ever heard of this problem? What do you think of the counter bore idea? and Do you have any other/better suggestions? One concern I have is I thought the Avanti engines had an oil restrictor in the passage to the head to eliminate oil pooling in the head and the resulting oil passing by the valve seals. Is the oil passage size transition from block to head part of this restrictor system and will it be damaged or made ineffective by counter boting the head passage.
    Any help, suggestions or critisim would be welcome.

1963r2

PackardV8

Comment

The last R-2 I did also had an oil leah at the rear of the right cyl. head. I had used the thin gasket, brake cleaned the surfaces, painted the gasket with aluminum spray paint. I had to remove the head, clean the surfaces again. This time I used copper coat on the new gasket. That fixed the leak. I now use copper coat on all steel head gaskets. Jim

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions All. We checked the torque on the head bolts and they were to specifications. The dowels were the original dowels. The leak appeared to be coming from the oil supply hole to the rocker arm assembly. When we removed the heads we checked the block and head surfaces and they appeared to be flat and not marred, gouged or deeply scratched in any way.

What we did was replace the dowel on the supply side of the each head with a new sleave in the oil supply line. The sleave along with substituting the slightly thicker "R3 style" composite head gasket for the original thin metal gasket seams to have solved the oil leak. Could have been a bad repro metal gasket or possibly just too much oil pressure to seal after the rebuild (~60-65 lbs until completely warmed up the ~50 lbs)

When reassembling the engine I replaced the 195 deg thermostat (installed by the machanic during the original rebuild this spring) with the 160 deg thermostat I normally run in the Avanti. The combination of slightly lower compression due to the thicker head gasket and the replacement of the 195 deg tstat seams to have solved my pinging problem that was occurring in during the step transition on the carb meterering rods I had replaced to go one step leaner.

Again Thanks for your help.

Jason Ford

1963r2

Comment

Glad you got er fixed Jason!

FYI: The thick (sandwich) head gasket you used on your 289 would be a '55-'56 V-8 535982 gasket not an R3, since they are 304 c.i. it would not fit a 289. You should now have only about 8.5 to 8.75 to one, if you you are still running the low compression R2 (Truck) heads and stock Avanti flat top pistons.

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

I have a full flow I'm going to freshen up for ebay and I'd like to raise the compression with those thin head gaskets but I don't know where to buy them. Any suggestions?

Comment

Most of us Studebaker vendors have the thin headgaskets in stock.

quote:Originally posted by buddymander

I have a full flow I'm going to freshen up for ebay and I'd like to raise the compression with those thin head gaskets but I don't know where to buy them. Any suggestions?
              Frank van Doorn
              Omaha, Ne.
              1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
              1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
              1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Hmmmm...where have I heard that line before?

quote:Originally posted by 41 Frank

Most of us Studebaker vendors have the thin headgaskets in stock.

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

So.. is there a url or something to get me to the page that would have the thin head gaskets? I'm tired of searching thru various websites that are un-navigable.

Comment

Studebaker vendors can be accessed through the "Valuable links" on the home page. Since we don't know where you are it is hard for us to recommend someone close to you. I can't speak for studerich having them in stock but for info like pricing we can be contacted through our profile by e-mail.

quote:Originally posted by buddymander

So.. is there a url or something to get me to the page that would have the thin head gaskets? I'm tired of searching thru various websites that are un-navigable.
                    Frank van Doorn
                    Omaha, Ne.
                    1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
                    1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
                    1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

How much should a person pay for a pair of them? Or should I say, where would I get the best price.

Comment

Buddy, most of us aren't going to point to one of the vendors in preference to the others, look up the link, study the offerings and make your choice.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
                        Tom Bredehoft
                        '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
                        '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
                        (Under Construction 564 hrs.)
                        '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
                        All Indiana built cars

Comment

I'm trying to save myself the trouble....kinda thought that's what this forum was for.

Comment

Working...
                          X