Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hood alignment

Has anyone run into this?

I set my hood on the old cowl weatherstrip, which was seriously flattened, and the center was lower that the cowl, but both corners were OK. I replaced the weatherstrip (SI)- now the center and one side are fine but the other corner is high. I can't get the hinge on that side any lower. I'm not sure if I can bend the hood because of the support/bracing underneath the cowl edge.

I'm thinking of pulling up the weatherstrip and shaving the underneath edge on the high side.
    Does it sound like the hood has been tweaked or is the waetherstrip just too high?

Gallivan
    57 Golden Hawk
    Golden, CO
    Gallivan
    57 Golden Hawk
    Golden, CO

I am having the same problem with my lark daytona. I just got the car and the hood wouldn't close. So today I removed the hood and the hinges and the latch mechanisms so that I could just lay the hood in place to see if a good fit was even possible. You might want to start there. It will also show you where your warps or high low weathersripping is and what you might need to adjust to get the best fit.
    Bailsout

Comment

Very hard to bend the hood without doing damage,and be careful of the edge area just in front of both hinges.That is the weak area since there is no bracing like there is across the rear.
      Classic Enterprizes make braces for that side area. Your idea of trimming the rubber sounds feasible.I've never seen a Hawk hood that fit perfect all the way around,you always need to compromise in one adjustment or another.
      Also keep in mind that if the hood sits level with the cowl,and with a correct gap,you still need to pull forward on it as you open it.Even then,the rear edge of the hood tends to drop slightly as you open it,and likes to chip the paint off of the cowl on its way up.!
      I tried to leave my hood just slightly higher than the cowl,but then the rear corners looked terrible sitting higher than the fenders.

Oglesby,Il.
      "Studebaker? It must be hard to find parts for those!"
      Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Working...
      X