rear end question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rear end question

I've got a Dana 44 3.31 TT rear. Could I get a 3.54 ring and pinion, and use that in my 3.31? Would the TT still be retained?

I'm going into the rear anyways, I've got a set of new Steve Cade flanged axles to install. Oh, and is a 3.54 ring and pinion available for a Dana 44, and if so, at a reasonable price?

Thanks in advance.

Matthew Burnette
    Hazlehurst, GA

quote:Originally posted by mbstude

I've got a Dana 44 3.31 TT rear. Could I get a 3.54 ring and pinion, and use that in my 3.31? Would the TT still be retained?
    Yes...the split is at 3.90 and lower (numerically) for the same carrier.

quote:
    I'm going into the rear anyways, I've got a set of new Steve Cade flanged axles to install. Oh, and is a 3.54 ring and pinion available for a Dana 44, and if so, at a reasonable price?
    It was one of the most common gear sets. I'll bet you can easily trade your 3.31's for the 3.54's. If it is a close ratio 4 speed (2.20 low), the 3.54's are marginal. I had them in S2D until I "ugraded" to 4.27's. Lots of clutch slipping getting off the line.

If you have a wide ratio T-10 (2.54 low), the 3.31's are perfect. I had this combo in my '63 Hawk and it was the best, easiest driving Stude I've owned,

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

OK, my next question.

How do I know which gear ratio my transmission is? If it has the 2.54 1st gear, I'll stick with my 3.31.

Thanks Dick.

Matthew Burnette
      Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Generally the Ford bolt pattern T-10s were the wide ratio and the Chevy bolt pattern T-10s were the close ratio.

Nick

Comment

Mine's the Ford pattern. So it's most likely a 2.54 1st gear?

Matthew Burnette
          Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

RE: rear end question

Matt, just glad to hear that you're OK. [}]

<h5>Mark
            '57 Transtar Deluxe
            Vancouver Island

Are you planning to attend the NW Overdrive Tour in Parksville, BC
            May 23 & 24, 2009?
            </h5>
            Mark Hayden
            '66 Commander

Comment

quote:Originally posted by mbstude

OK, my next question.

How do I know which gear ratio my transmission is?
              If the trany is out of the car, stick it in low gear and turn the tail shaft once and count the revolutions of the pilot shaft. If it goes 2 1/2 times it's a 2.54. If it goes 2 1/4 times it's a 2.20.

Dick Steinkamp
              Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
              Bellingham, WA

Comment

I mentioned this on Racing Studebakers, but you should keep the 3:31
                and sell the 4 speed. Then get a TKO and use my thread to install it
                (pixs are down at the moment). The lower 1st in the TKO will be very
                nice with the 3:31 and in 5th (OD) you will see nice MPG on the way to
                car shows. Just my 2 cents.

Tom

'63 Avanti, zinc plated drilled & slotted 03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, soon: TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves, 'R3' 276 cam, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires
                '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
                Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
                http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
                I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

I've just spent the last thirty minutes looking on the forum and I believe you have the 2.54 first gear, but I also saw a Chevy bolt pattern T-10 with a 2.54 first. So if its out of the car I'd put it in first and spin it over to figure it out. Good luck.

Nick

Comment

TKO/TR-3550 has a 3.27 1st gear, just looked it up. .68 OD.[8D]

Tom
                    '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
                    Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
                    I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Didn't think about turning the shaft and counting the revolutions, I'll do that.

Tom, that's VERY tepting indeed; though I love the 'nostalgia' that goes with an old 4 speed with a Hurst shifter.

Matthew Burnette
                      Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

They sell white shifter balls for the TKO/TR-3550, and other than that
                        you can not tell whats under the boot.

You saw the pictures of mine, theres no way to tell by looking. But it
                        is pretty obvious while shifting. I never drove a 4 speed, but if the
                        linkage is anything like the 3 speed my Avanti had, you WONT miss it at
                        all! The modern trans feels so positive, the 3 speed was so vague.[xx(]

Tom

Comment

Allthough this is a Mustang link, it is informative as to ratios and maximum torque limits of transmissions used in Ford and GM, and their suppliers ZF, Tremec, and others.

gt350mustang.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, gt350mustang.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

The little 6 speed transmission I'm looking at is only rated 345 ft-lb for torque. It has a stump pulling 4.15 first gear.

1963 Studebaker Avanti: C4 Corvette narrowed front/rear suspension, C5 13" calipers/rotors adapted to C4, Viper differential with Intrax 3.54 ratio (the snake has been charmed!), coil overs, stainless tubular frame, stainless chambered side exhaust.
                          Here are two links for some pictures and information.
                          Slide Show
                          Magazine Article
                          sigpic 1963 Studebaker Avanti: LS1 motor and T-56 transmission have been moved rearward, set up as a two seat coupe with independent rear suspension. Complex solutions for nonexistant problems.

Comment

I'm using a Tremec Superduty T5 from Summit in my R2 Avanti. It's a 2.95 1st gear with 330 ft.lbs. torque rating. White Hurst shift balls are available from Summit with 3/8-16 thread to fit early Mustang shift handles in both 5 & 4 speed patterns. I carry the 4 speed ball in the car in case I wan't to show it for judging (but haven't to date). If anyone asks if it is difficult to change from a 4 speed to 5, my reply is - No! Just change the ball! BTW the car is lively.

Comment

Working...
                            X