Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What happens if I mount a carb sideways?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What happens if I mount a carb sideways?

Amongst other plans for the 185 OHV is the installation of better carburation. I've got a very nice Stromberg WW from a '62 289, and I am considering using this, and have a 2 bbl to 1 bbl adapter. I'll do some cleaning and matching to open the 1 bbl section as much as possible.

Linkage has been a bit of a puzzlement, trying not to have a Rube Goldeburg linkage and retaining the overdrive kickdown. Playing with it today, I find that if I mount the carb with the bowls to the left instead of forward, the linkage is almost perfect. Even with teh bowls to the rear is not too bad an arrangement for linkage.

So what happens if I mount the carb like this? I'm guessing that with acceleration I might have one jet sucking air, but jeez, it's still a Champion 6, so maybe not? How about if I mount it backwards? Any problems?

Ron

Ron Dame
    '63 Champ
    Ron Dame
    '63 Champ

nothing happens bad. I used one on a harley
    mounted sideways, and the acceleration was
    surly more than what you will have. It should
    run good. go for it. Live your dreams

Tex E. Grier

Comment

Like Flash says, with this combination, you should see no problems.
      There are many manifolds out there that position 4 barrel carbs. sideways...again no problem.

The float bowl is small enough that gas sloshing in the bowl will keep the jet wet with fuel as long as the fuel (float) level is correct.

Mike

Comment

No sweat.
        Fuel slosh on accelleration/decelleration, and linkage issues are the only two things that are genericaly of concern.
        But Stude's are dumb, so just don't tell it what you are doing.
        Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by Ron Dame

Amongst other plans for the 185 OHV is the installation of better carburation. I've got a very nice Stromberg WW from a '62 289, and I am considering using this, and have a 2 bbl to 1 bbl adapter. I'll do some cleaning and matching to open the 1 bbl section as much as possible.
        Linkage has been a bit of a puzzlement, trying not to have a Rube Goldeburg linkage and retaining the overdrive kickdown. Playing with it today, I find that if I mount the carb with the bowls to the left instead of forward, the linkage is almost perfect. Even with teh bowls to the rear is not too bad an arrangement for linkage.
        So what happens if I mount the carb like this? I'm guessing that with acceleration I might have one jet sucking air, but jeez, it's still a Champion 6, so maybe not? How about if I mount it backwards? Any problems?
        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Thanks all! I'll try it on the old 170 OHV first, just for kicks, and report back.

Ron Dame
          '63 Champ
          Ron Dame
          '63 Champ

Comment

Working...
          X