Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Replacement axle?? Axle saga - RESOLVED!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Only partially changing the subject....

The In & Outs around hear....would rather close up thAn have a cruze night!

What gives?

And two...maybe the L.A. crowd can have lunch in Gardna (?) if you make it up here Saturday.
    Let us know, maybe we can all meet up at Verns, though I've only been there once and have no idea how to get there!!

Mike

Comment

Hi,Tom,

Styling is always a personal preference, but I much prefer my Avanti without bumpers. Have been driving it that way for a year now.

You wouldn't believe how much the brackets weigh. The bumpers themselves are cheap, thin, junk, but the brackets are heavy, hell-for-stout and will chew holes in the side of the car if one works loose and starts vibrating.

thnx, jv.

PackardV8
      PackardV8

Comment

Alan,

The quote I got a year ago (8/20/2005) was "about 275.00 on the rear.
        125.00 front center, and 90.00 each on front ends", thats 580. I hope
        that it has not changed too much. Seems like the price of everything
        has gone up in the last year.[xx(][V] The quote was 5-10 days.

Mike,

In N Out tried to force us out shortly after the local TV & News came
        by last year or so and interviewed people. They were doing their
        usual stories on "street racing", and were more interested in the fart
        cars on the other side of the lot then us. Word got around after the
        Santa Barbara News Press was there, and then the following Friday the
        local TV station ABC's "Key News" was there. I wasnt making it back
        then in the 63 Avanti, it still had the original leaking factory disc
        brakes and warped rotors. I had driven the '95 Impala SS the day the
        Newspress was there, the photographer had no clue that it would blow
        the doors off the late 60's El Camino he decided to shoot instead. The
        owner of the El Camino even TOLD the guy, "thats a fast car". After
        those two events the InNOut management hired a security guard to come
        over and bug us, though WE never caused any trouble. The noise makers
        showed up ONLY when the News was there, never saw them after that. It
        was a couple weeks later then manager came out and told us that it was
        cool if WE stayed.

I have the Avanti bumpers loaded up in my "El Camaro" but I dont
        have a clue at this point, WHEN I will be getting down there. I will
        call Vernes tomorrow on my wifes cell phone, and see if they will be
        open on Saturday or not. If they wont be, then I will just sneak out
        of work early and jet down there. I might do that anyway if I get too
        bored at work! I like the idea of meeting up, but I wont have the
        Avanti, and I have no set in stone plans. I dont like to make plans
        when things are so sketchy, and then be branded a "Flake". Sorry! You
        are always welcome to show up at the Turnpike Santa Barbara In N Out.
        Its hit and miss on the turn out, but we could coordinate a mini Stude
        meet there sometime. Traffic coming INTO S.B. at that time is clear.

Packard,

I have the bumpers off, and yes, its NICE without them! I had a model
        I made when I was a kid (and dreaming of owning an Avanti), and I did
        not put the bumpers on, and shaved the mounts. The thing is, they fit
        the character of the car, and they also match my new wheels. As much
        as I would like to leave them off, and save the 600 bucks ... oh well.

Tom
        '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
        Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
        http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
        I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Your car, your choice. FWIW, the wheels stand out much more without the bumpers on the car. I put small side marker lights in the side bumper bracket holes and they look like they grew there.

thnx, jv

PackardV8
          PackardV8

Comment

Alan, I should have picked up that axle from you when I was down there
            dropping off the bumpers. The axle I had lined up for this weekend,
            turned out to be from a 51 Stude! The other axle he had was a 27. I
            have a few calls out there, but I am hitting dead end after dead end.
            The guy I got the front hubs from, swapped his 44 axles for a Fairborn
            kit, but the old axles had the hubs spinning on them. He says one is
            completely shot, the other is .... "eh". What pains me, is that we
            dumped a couple axles off at the junk yard years ago, when my dad sold
            the house (at the bottom of the market in '95). So far everyone that
            I get hold of, has just thrown theirs out "last week". I could drive
            up on the hill my Hawk is on, and pull it out of it, but its an hour
            drive one way, and if I forget something I need ..... grrrrrrrrrrrr!

Leaning toward the spacer shims again ........[B)]

Tom
            '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
            Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
            I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

quote:Leaning toward the spacer shims again ........

Mmmmmmm....

Mike

Comment

Mike, sorry to catch you while you were eating .....

Concerning the damaged axle, he said that one was toast, the other had
                shown signs of "moving". How bad can the taper BE, and still be a
                usable axle?? I will have it checked for cracks, but how can I check
                the taper to make sure the hub will fit correctly? Maybe I can get
                away with using the "ok" axle.

UPDATE : A friend of mine HAS an axle, ready-to-go, checked for cracks
                and out of the housing .... the catch is, he is a forest service fire
                fighter and wont be back to the area for 7 to 10 days. Thats not too
                good, but not entirely bad. I will be getting the "ok" axle tomorrow
                night after work to inspect, hopefully its not bent or cracked and the
                taper is usable. Anyone know HOW to check the taper for "go-no-go"?

Tom

Comment

UPDATE :

Got an axle tonight, this is the "ok" one, looks usable. I will have
                  it checked tomorrow to make sure its not bent or cracked. Anyone
                  have concerns about the wear at the outer bearing? I guess if I use
                  some Loctite and tap in to were it was, it should be OK. Other than
                  using the mark left on the axle as a guide, any pointers how to get
                  the bearing back on the axle shaft "correctly"?

Tom

Comment

quote:Originally posted by sbca96

UPDATE :Got an axle tonight, this is the "ok" one, looks usable. I will have
                    it checked tomorrow to make sure its not bent or cracked. Anyone
                    have concerns about the wear at the outer bearing? I guess if I use
                    some Loctite and tap in to were it was, it should be OK. Other than
                    using the mark left on the axle as a guide, any pointers how to get
                    the bearing back on the axle shaft "correctly"?
                    Tom
                    Tom - I think the axles are case hardened. I would be worried that the galling where the bearing spun would make the axle more likely to break in that spot. The axle I broke last winter, broke almost flush with the inside of the hub which I think is right at the bearing. If it were me, I'd continue to use the one already in the car and just stay off the gas. You said it has been bent for a long time. Sure seems likely it will last until you get the axle from your FS friend or the flanged axle replacement if you don't subject it to a lot of torque or flexing. Too bad we're so far apart. I have several used axles in good shape. But, by time you get one I ship you one from Alaska, your firefighter friend will be back. Dale

Comment

Na...Dale's right.

All axles only have surface hardening done to them. Some thicker thAn others but still just surface. That bad spot is truly a bad spot. Not only has the galling screwed up the hardened area but it looks like it's started a fissure where the material has already started on it way to catastrophic failure.

Don't use that axle.

Mike

Comment

Let me get this straight...

You are spending money on chrome and not spending money on flanged axles?
                        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Actually the hub contact area you can see about 1 inch out further
                          from the bearing. The axle I broke in High School sheared off at the
                          end of the keyway, not at the bearing race. <s>It does look like it
                          might have spun at one point,</s> certainly not as good as I would like.

So I guess now I am back to the .010/.020 shims?

I am debating even having this axle checked for cracks, like I said
                          that area concerned me. I guess I am short an axle shaft again.[V]

And YES Jeff, I am doing chrome bumpers before flanged axles. Allow me
                          to explain to you why. I had over a foot long rust area on the back
                          bumper that really made the car look bad. As I mentioned I am TRYING
                          to get the car to a local show. Now, I ask you, which will have more
                          of an impact at a car show? Nicely chromed bumpers, or flanged axles?
                          This axle assembly was out of my Hawk, which I drove for over 20k and
                          never had ANY issues, its WHY I installed it into the Avanti. It had
                          NEVER shown any signs of a bent axle, and the ONLY reason I noticed it
                          was because of intalling my disc brake setup on the rear. I guess the
                          new rotors and pads is what made the problem more obvious. ALSO, I am
                          trying to prove a NEW concept for Studebakers. Inexpensive, widely
                          available Mustang parts used on a RECENT car for 10 years ('94-'04).
                          Not too mention the HUGE aftermarket availability of even bigger brakes.
                          Not everyone has Fairborn's flanged axle kit, but EVERY Stude has the
                          tapered axle setup. I must start there, then upgrade, or people will
                          assume this concept only works for Fairborns kit. Make sense now?

Obviously the car IS driveable, since I did all my Gtech & 0-60 tests
                          with this axle assembly in the car. The shims will fix the problem
                          well enough to get the car 5 blocks to the show, but I thought while
                          I had it mostly apart ......

Tom

Comment

Tom,

You've been extolling the laudits of your "World's most efficient Studebaker braking system" - this so you can "be safe" from all the "other" idiots on the road. And yet you'd use a galled (possibly fractured - can't say because you've not had it magnafluxed) axle and some Loctite to trust to the extreme stresses you subject this Avanti to? I guess your demise or disabling will be acceptable so long as it's at your own hand, eh?[8]
                            I had a wheelchair-bound boss some years ago. He said he never regretted testing that drag bike for a friend. He only wished the guy had told him that the controls had been altered from standard.
                            He'd been an up-'n-coming road race driver prior to the motorcycle crippling. He was one of those "hot-shots" who knew it all when it came to anything with wheels. There was a certain irony that he ended up spending his life on a set of them.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                            1960 Larkvertible V8
                            1958 Provincial wagon
                            1953 Commander coupe
                            1957 President 2-dr
                            1955 President State
                            1951 Champion Biz cpe
                            1963 Daytona project FS
                            No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

UPDATE (Mike and Dale) :

OK, I had a pretty knowledgeable guy here at work take a look at
                              the axle shaft. He says that it definately DIDNT spin, the area
                              looks like an "intimate contact" spot from an interference fit.
                              The bearing that I removed from the shaft required a few hits to
                              get off the shaft, so it wasnt loose. Also, the area that LOOKS
                              like its "spun" you can not even feel with your finger nail. I
                              should apologize, I didnt bother doing that last night, I took a
                              couple pictures and that was it. He mentioned that if the bearing
                              required pounding to remove from the shaft, and wasnt frozen, its
                              hard to accept that the I.D. was spinning on the shaft since it
                              will spin at the point of least resistence - in the bearing. He
                              also said that IF it spun, then you should be able to feel some
                              kind of damage or depression (which there isnt), & it would also
                              have radial marks across the entire mating surface, not just the
                              outer edge (I also figured that those marks should be on the big
                              side of the taper, not the small side if it JUST started to spin).
                              On close inspection, those radial marks that LOOK like damage
                              from a spun bearing, seam to be the machining marks from when the
                              taper was created, & the coloring looks like rust from being on the
                              exposed side of the bearing. There is no "groove".

Can someone with a used axle, with bearing off, inspect that area
                              and see what it looks like? I seem to remember the axle I did
                              years ago having signs of contact at the bearing area - you could
                              see where the bearing was.

Tom

Comment

Normally this is a
                                reason to buy the flanged axle kit from Fairborn, which I plan to do, but I
                                can NOT afford it right now. I need to get my bumpers rechromed for the
                                upcoming show I have labored all year long to enter (win?)

Jeff is right about your prirorities on this one. It's what you don't normally see on the car that is more important than the shiny stuff. Newly rechromed bumpers are nowhere near as improtant than your safety or someone elses!!

Craig

Comment

Working...
                                X