Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Help with year ID?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with year ID?

This parts car is for sale, but the owner isn't sure what year it is. I'm looking for the later, heavier frame for my 53. Can anyone confirm the year I need (62 and later?)and is this it? Also, would these front fenders be useable? Windhsield? etc?

San antonio TX. 53 Champion Coupe, to be brought back from the dead.
    "Of course it will fit, I have a torch"

OOps, heres the link. http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/cto/880856589.html

Comment

The ad says the frame is rusty so probably should pass on this one. The frame on this one is the type you would want though. Windshield and front clip will interchange with your 53.The one in the ad is a 63.

Edited for spelling
      Frank van Doorn
      Omaha, Ne.
      1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
      1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
      1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Thanks frank. I asked about the rust, he meant the body. It's only 30 miles away so I can take a quick look. He thinks it's a 62 with a 63 clip. How do I confirm the right frame, or maybe that's a stupid question and all the super hawks had the right frame?

Comment

62 through 64 GT Hawk frames were the same and are the type of frame you would want.Inspect the frame closely especially around the rear kickup for rust issues, bubbling, separating etc.

quote:Originally posted by oldguy829

Thanks frank. I asked about the rust, he meant the body. It's only 30 miles away so I can take a quick look. He thinks it's a 62 with a 63 clip. How do I confirm the right frame, or maybe that's a stupid question and all the super hawks had the right frame?

Frank van Doorn
          Omaha, Ne.
          1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed

Comment

I'm with Frank here - rusty's OK so long as it isn't crusty, craggy or flaky. No - wait - that was my first wife! [V]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
            1960 Larkvertible V8
            1958 Provincial wagon
            1953 Commander coupe
            1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Thats funny I had one like that too Biggs.

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

I'm with Frank here - rusty's OK so long as it isn't crusty, craggy or flaky. No - wait - that was my first wife! [V]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe
              1957 President two door

Frank van Doorn
              Omaha, Ne.
              1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed

Comment

maybe that's a stupid question and all the super hawks had the right frame?

San Antonio TX.
                A true Super Hawk frame will have rear radius rod ("traction bar") mounts welded on the sides of the frame just in front of the rear kickup(s), if you are looking for a genuine Super Hawk frame. BP
                We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Looks like there are a lot of other good parts on that one. You should be able to recover your cost if you part it out.

Comment

I like his definition of rusty. Bottom edge of the doors and maybe 3 inches near the bottom of one front fender. Rest of the car including the floor pans and hog troughs are solid. The windshield is worth the price. Vin number starts with 62V. I assumed that meant a 62 so I brought it home.
                    I'm already eyeballing the dash and wondering what else is useable.
                    Thanks for the help guys.

Comment

Sounds like you got a good deal on that one. Yes it would be a 62 body with 63 front clip it appears. Good luck with your purchase.

I like his definition of rusty. Bottom edge of the doors and maybe 3 inches near the bottom of one front fender. Rest of the car including the floor pans and hog troughs are solid. The windshield is worth the price. Vin number starts with 62V. I assumed that meant a 62 so I brought it home.
                      I'm already eyeballing the dash and wondering what else is useable.
                      Thanks for the help guys.

Frank van Doorn
                      1962 GT Hawk 4 speed
                      1963 Daytona Conv
                      1941 Champion R-2 Rod
                      Frank van Doorn
                      Omaha, Ne.
                      1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed

Comment

wheel well opening mouldings and headlight rims for starters

Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                        Studebaker enthusiast much longer
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Got a chance to clean it out today. Seller said no interior, but it looks like they were using it as a dumpster. I found the complete rear seat in amazing condition. A long set of new floor pans untouched and all the interior pieces. Cardboard and fabric shot, but all the stainless looks good. Front center console in good shape, one front seat bottom and 2 backs, in fair shape. Under dash AC unit, doesn't look bad, and the double squirrel cage fan runs great. Also a mesh grill insert.
                          A hydrovac unit (I need to learn more about these) and a random ford wire spoke wheel in a Kelsey Hayes style. Wish there were 4 of them.
                          All in all, this is my idea of a fun day, looking at the GT and the 53 side by side and wondering "what if....."

Comment

Working...
                          X