No announcement yet.

Clutch Issues, HELP!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okay, here it is folks. This turned out to be a minor problem, but faulty parts from Studebaker International. The pressure plate was not adjusted properly. I was told this was ready to bolt on and being new to all this, I never checked it before installation. I have too much trust in other people I guess. I asked them for some sort of break on a new one and I basically got the door slammed in my face. They said since it was almost 3 years ago that I ordered the part, there is nothing they can do. Well, it sat in my garage for 6-7 months before I installed it and I only have 1600 miles on this pressure plate. I had a professional mechanic look at my parts and he realized this problem in 30 seconds. I guess I am gonna go directly to the local parts store and get a new pressure plate and get my flywheel turned by a performance shop nearby. I am pretty ticked that Stude-Intl won't make this right, but I guess that's "big" business. Its a shame they treat the people that make that business like a shmuk. Thanks for everyones help, I greatly appreciate it.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Dave.Barnett

Okay, here it is folks. This turned out to be a minor problem, but faulty parts from Studebaker International. The pressure plate was not adjusted properly. I was told this was ready to bolt on and being new to all this, I never checked it before installation. I have too much trust in other people I guess. I asked them for some sort of break on a new one and I basically got the door slammed in my face. They said since it was almost 3 years ago that I ordered the part, there is nothing they can do. Well, it sat in my garage for 6-7 months before I installed it and I only have 1600 miles on this pressure plate. I had a professional mechanic look at my parts and he realized this problem in 30 seconds. I guess I am gonna go directly to the local parts store and get a new pressure plate and get my flywheel turned by a performance shop nearby. I am pretty ticked that Stude-Intl won't make this right, but I guess that's "big" business. Its a shame they treat the people that make that business like a shmuk. Thanks for everyones help, I greatly appreciate it.
      Thank you for letting us know what happened...........

As for Studebaker International: tough call there. Remember that 'back in the day' new car warranties were only on the order of 1-2 years and your clutch ass'y is ca. 3 years old.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"
      --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Dave.Barnett

Dave,

Was it the finger height that was not right?

How far was it off? (ie, what was the 'as-found' measurement, and what is the correct measurement supposed to be?)

Paul
        Winston-Salem, NC
        Visit The NEW Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
        Paul
        Winston-Salem, NC
        Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

Dave, Glad to hear you figured it out.
          Please explain exactly what was wrong. The finger height is set by the assembly person and marked . I would have installed it also thinking this was all done and I don't ever remember this happening to anyone I know . Had something along these lines with a big name vendor last year, I feel your pain.
          So it is a new year let's move on .
          Don"t forget to get a new disk too.
          JOE

1959 HARDTOP R2 4speed
          1960 conv R2 auto
          SDC member since 1972
          1959 HARDTOP R2 4speed
          1960 conv R2 auto
          SDC member since 1972
          http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff21/59r2/DSC01514-3.jpg

Comment

Thanks 59R2, All we did was break loose the nuts that adjust the finger height which were stamped. They were not that tight which is a problem also. We loosened them about 1 1/4 turn and that gave me about 1/4" of space where the mounting holes are away from the flywheel. Is this confusing you? In other words, you can totally see the disk was just floating in between and not sandwiched tightly as it should be. I am going to a local vendor this time. I was told this package can be purchased through NAPA as well. I am waiting for part numbers so I can order the part here, that way if it is not right, its their problem and not mine. I am really ticked I got screwd on this, but like you said, I need to move on. Thanks a million 59R2. We're you at the Lancaster Meet this past Sept? If you get turning wheels my car is on page 54, top right. Its the yellow Lark.

Comment

I just noticed 2 other people replied. Sorry I didnt answer your questions. Yeah, the finger height should be 1 7/8", as it states in the yellow bible. My mechanic friend told me when you place the disk on top of the flywheel and then place the p-plate on top of that, the p-plate mounting holes should be about 1/4" from the flywheel, that way when you turn the bolts tight it sandwiches the clutch disk in between real good and tight. The other thing we will look for once its back together is that the TO bearing is not hitting the bearing cap snout from which the input shaft comes out of. I hope this helps you guys in the future. Again, I am new to this, you all have way more experience then I do. Learn from my mistakes and not your own. Thanks guys!!!

Comment

The main issue with this is my pressure plate was not adjusted properly from factory. I had the p-plate for 3 years, however it only has 1400 babied miles on it. Obviously I couldn't damage this if it was slipping. Anyway, that is the problem. I have a local speed shop making me a new one, no more of this messin' around with rebuilt crap or crap that gets shipped to me and forgotten. I was told by Studebaker International that they would send it back to their vendor for them to make the decision if I get a refund or not. Its funny how its my problem even after I spent well over $1800 with them. Real nice for folks like us to keep that business alive, but get one in the rear in return. Nice... real nice.

Comment

too late to help you now, but a Chevy 409 clutch is roughly equivalent to the factory R1/R2 unit.

nate

--
                  55 Commander Starlight
                  http://members.cox.net/njnagel
                  --
                  55 Commander Starlight
                  http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Working...
                  X