Another kickdown question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another kickdown question

My '60 Lark V-8 with 2 bbl and Flightomatic does not downshift from 3rd to 2nd as it should with hard accel, even at very low speeds. Also, it won't do 1st gear start with WOT. I've read some of the threads on this topic and the shop manual. The throttle to carb linkage is adjusted correctly, so I'm assuming the bellcrank to trans lever is misadjusted. Since I don't have a suitable gauge or a transmission shop anywhere near my area, using a pressure gauge to set the length is not a good option. Question: can't I just experiment by adjusting the lever length until I get proper operation? If so, which way should it go(longer or shorter). Thanks.

Hopefully your lack of kickdown is simply this adjustment and not something more complicated on the insides. Yes, just do it by experimenting with different lengths. If you're not getting kickdown, I believe the length is too short -so make it longer. If my memory is not correct, then will someone please correct me. Good luck.

Best Regards,
    Eric West
    "The Speedster Kid"
    Sunny Northern California
    Where the roads don't freeze over and the heat doesn't kill you.
    And an open road is yours to have -only during non-commute rush hours 9am-4pm and 7pm to 7am (Ha, ha, ha)
    55 Speedster "Lemon/Lime" (Beautiful)
    55 President State Sedan (Rusty original, but runs great and reliable)
    Best Regards,
    Eric West
    "The Speedster Kid"
    Sunny Northern California
    Where the roads don't freeze over and the heat doesn't kill you.
    And an open road is yours to have -only during non-commute rush hours 9am-4pm and 7pm to 7am (Ha, ha, ha)
    55 Speedster "Lemon/Lime" (Beautiful)
    55 President State Sedan (Rusty original, but runs great and reliable)

Comment

At what speeds are the shifts happening? With enough pedal to achieve 30 mph, shifts should occur about 15 and 27 assuming you have a first gear start trans model, If not a 2-3 shift should occour at 25 to 27 mph. If your shifting earlier than that you would need to shorten the rod. Lou Cote [8D]

Comment

quote:Originally posted by dynolou2

At what speeds are the shifts happening? With enough pedal to achieve 30 mph, shifts should occur about 15 and 27 assuming you have a first gear start trans model, If not a 2-3 shift should occour at 25 to 27 mph. If your shifting earlier than that you would need to shorten the rod. Lou Cote [8D]
        shorten which rod? the one at the clevis or the throttle rod?

1964 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

The throttle Pressure Rod, gets adjusted for the throttle pressure adjustment, NEVER the Carburetor rod, that is the one stude259 already adjusted first per the Manual and our instructions on other posts.

quote:Originally posted by JLasvegas

shorten which rod? the one at the clevis or the throttle rod?
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Rich, is it possible to set the throttle pressure rod with out a pressure gauge or is there a way to do it from underneath the car when its on jack stands

1964 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

just found the proper way to do it in my service manual.
              thanks

1964 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Sure, just crawl under it and loosen the lock nut, count the number of turns on one side of the clevis, to remember where it was if you mess up, then move it the direction that gives more movement sooner to INCREASE pressure, that gives later shifts, and should also restore second and high kickdown with full throttle.

If you move too far it will go too far in second before High gear shift, and could do a Low gear kickdown at less than beyond full throttle. That is what the spring loaded stretchrod in the Carb. rod does, it allows beyond full throttle without damage to the Carb.

quote:Originally posted by JLasvegas

Rich, is it possible to set the throttle pressure rod with out a pressure gauge or is there a way to do it from underneath the car when its on jack stands

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

StudeRich makes an important point. The throttle linkage with an automatic transmission is spring loaded and it "stretches" to allow the transmission linkage to continue to move when the carburetor is at WOT. If this linkage is rusted up, or has been replaced by linkage without the internal spring, there would be no kickdown.

Jim Bradley
                  Lewistown PA
                  '78 Avanti II
                  Jim Bradley
                  Lake Monticello, VA
                  '78 Avanti II
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X