Transmission Noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission Noise

This has to be a favorite topic. My FOM has decided to make noises in P. The noise is exactly like one would hear if the fluid level were low. But it only occurs in P, upon a cold start the transmission buzzes until its put in any other position including N. Then it stops.
    Take it out on the road and it shifts fine and once it warms up it no longer makes the buzz in P. Car has new motor mounts but nothing has been done prior to this revolting development. Any ideas as to what might cause the sudden onset of a buzz in P? The fluid level is where it should be and the transmission has Dexron III in it. I am going to drain and refill both trans and TC. Current fluid is about two years old and looks fine. The FOM is seaping fluid from the front seal and I was gonna pull it and replace that seal anyhow.

Mike
    www.packardhawk.com

Just a shot in the dark but it could be the pressure regulator valve buzzing. My 62 occasionally does the same thing. After replacing the mounts was mainline - throttle pressure set with a gauge? Lou Cote [8D]

Comment

I agree, sounds like the throttle pressure rod needs adjusting.

Ron Dame
      '63 Champ
      Ron Dame
      '63 Champ

Comment

This transmission has never been touched, to the best of my knowledge. I will check the throttle pressure. I suspect its something simple and may be related to changing the mounts.
        Thanks

Mike
        www.packardhawk.com

Comment

If one was to adjust the throttle pressure rod outward to lengthen it, wouldnt that alleviate some of the pressure and thus eliminate the noise?

1964 Daytona Wagonaire
          259cid flight o matic

Comment

Thanks,
            I did adjust the throttle pressure rod and it eliminated the noise..

Mike
            www.packardhawk.com

Comment

quote:Originally posted by MikeW

Thanks,
              I did adjust the throttle pressure rod and it eliminated the noise..

Mike
              www.packardhawk.com
              Mike do you know if its just the rod that goes to the carb that needs to be adjusted? or does the throttle valve lever need to be adjusted as well?

Im level on my fluid, shifts perfect, but makes that strange noise upon start up until I put into any gear other than P, so Im assuming that there is too much pressure

1964 Daytona Wagonaire
              259cid flight o matic

Comment

this is what I found on Bob's site

1964 Daytona Wagonaire
                259cid flight o matic

Comment

I had replaced my motor mounts about four years ago but did not encounter the sound till this fall. I turned the clevis a couple of turns and the sound went away. I just adjusted the rod that goes to the transmission. I guess I better check the motor mounts to see that they are still in good shape.

Mike
                  www.packardhawk.com

Comment

There is a procedure in the manual; you first adjust at the carb to get the bellcrank at the right angle at idle, then adjust the rod to the trans for correct shift behavior.

nate

--
                    55 Commander Starlight
                    http://members.cox.net/njnagel
                    --
                    55 Commander Starlight
                    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Working...
                    X