Stromberg WW on a OHV 6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

quote:Originally posted by Ron Dame

Right you are, no metering rods. I finally unearthed my parts book and manual.

The carb is decent..not great, not bad. I took it off Boomerang, my old '62 Daytona ragtop, when I put an Edelbrock on it, so it''s been sitting a few years. There's a bit of slop in the throttle shaft which can make idle speed a variable affair, but it ran fine on Boomerang. When I took it off, I popped the top off the carb, cleaned it out, and filled the accelerator pump well with MMO to keep the leather from drying out. I've got a good healthy squirt (well the carb does anyway) so that's not the issue. I'm guessing there is some way to change the enrichment at part throttle. I've got to rework the linkage one more time before I can drive it enough to read the plugs, but it feels like it's lean at low speed part throttle. WOT may be lean too, but it still feels SO much better than the old RBS.

Ron Dame
    '63 Champ

Ron Dame
    '63 Champ
    Ron Dame
    '63 Champ

Comment

quote:Originally posted by N8N

I believe that Calvin ("oldcarfart") was selling 1bbl to 2bbl adapters a few years ago, and was intending for them to be used with F*rd Pinto (I think?) 2bbl carbs. He might be able to shed some light on your situation, although I think his experience was with earlier flatheads.

nate

--
      55 Commander Starlight
      http://members.cox.net/njnagel
      Yeah, he was using a Weber 2 bbl, and it's a good carb, but I don't think it has anything in common with a WW. I've got this decent, if not ideal WW that I though I'd try. Even not set up right, it's a big improvement over the crappy little Techumseh like RBS. I can't wait to try it on the 185 OHV!

Ron Dame
      '63 Champ
      Ron Dame
      '63 Champ

Comment

Well, no surprise, the WW off of the 289 is jetted quite a bit too rich for the 170. The spark plugs are black and sooty, it runs poorly at light throttle, and I either have no choke and no fast idle, or run way too rich with choke on.

So where can you get jets for a WW? How do you decide how much smaller to go?

Ron Dame
        '63 Champ
        Ron Dame
        '63 Champ

Comment

How do you decide how much smaller to go?

The venturies on the 289 WW are set up for 355 cu in of air at 5,000 rpm. (bear with me)
          The venturies on the 170 need main jets that will accommodate 209 cu inches at 5,000.

355 is to 209 is 1.7 to 1,

find out what size the 289 main jets are and put some in that are half of that. [Determine the diameter, figure the area (Diameter divided by two times 3.1416) (back figure that diameter and obtain new jets or peen the holes shut and drill to the right diameter.

If you have a set of number drills, you can use these to 1)determine existing size, and 2) drill the new holes.

[edit] correct math error

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
          Tom Bredehoft
          '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
          '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
          (Under Construction 564 hrs.)
          '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
          All Indiana built cars

Comment

All other things being equal, a stumble on part-throttle acceleration could be due to a bad vacuum advance unit in the distributor, or the unit not getting enough vacuum signal at the right time.

Mixture issues are more likely to cause a surge, in my experience. i.e.: hold the throttle at a steady position, and engine speed or torque varies cyclically.

Hope this is of some help.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

It's a rebuilt dizzy with Pertonix from Bill C, only a few thousand miles old. I'll admit I didn't even think about checking the timing after the change.

The plugs are black and sooty, it's well over-choked at start-up. Lean often gives a surge, I'm not sure about rich.

With the only new thing changing so far being the carb, and the jets set for a 289, that's my best guess for this miss.

quote:Originally posted by gordr

All other things being equal, a stumble on part-throttle acceleration could be due to a bad vacuum advance unit in the distributor, or the unit not getting enough vacuum signal at the right time.

Mixture issues are more likely to cause a surge, in my experience. i.e.: hold the throttle at a steady position, and engine speed or torque varies cyclically.

Hope this is of some help.

Ron Dame
              '63 Champ
              Ron Dame
              '63 Champ

Comment

Calvins' adapter was for a regular old Motocraft 2bbl (CA783B, or something like that).. He wasn't using the Weber primary/secondary 2bbl carb.
                I know of a couple of people that have used that Weber carb, and it makes for a nice swap once you get the adapter stuff right.
                Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by Ron Dame

quote:Originally posted by N8N

I believe that Calvin ("oldcarfart") was selling 1bbl to 2bbl adapters a few years ago, and was intending for them to be used with F*rd Pinto (I think?) 2bbl carbs. He might be able to shed some light on your situation, although I think his experience was with earlier flatheads.

nate

--
                55 Commander Starlight
                http://members.cox.net/njnagel
                Yeah, he was using a Weber 2 bbl, and it's a good carb, but I don't think it has anything in common with a WW. I've got this decent, if not ideal WW that I though I'd try. Even not set up right, it's a big improvement over the crappy little Techumseh like RBS. I can't wait to try it on the 185 OHV!

Ron Dame
                '63 Champ
                HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Working...
                X