Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

engine colors

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • engine colors

    I recently purchased a 54 Land Cruiser. I want to detali the engine. Am I correct in assuming that the valve covers,lifter cover, oil pan, and generator should be gloss black? What about the intake manifold?

  • #2
    intake should be engine color, bell telephone green. I'm not sure about the oil pan but the other parts you mention should be black. I am not sure about the degree of gloss because it all becomes semi-gloss over the years.

    nate

    --
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
    --
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

    Comment


    • #3
      Your 1954 232 Engine should have Olive Drab Studebaker and Packard Green as Nate said. The Oil Pan, Lifter Cover, and Intake are all the same as Block and Heads. The Valve Covers, Air Cleaner, Gen., starter, and Dist. are simi-gloss black. The Exhaust Manifolds were bare (rust) but would look the best in Eastwood Cast Iron Gray Hi-Temp manifold paint. I always put a little of that on the heat port of the intake as well, under the correct color to slow the "burn-off" down a bit. As it will burn off of the center exhaust port of the heads and the intake man. center port because of extreame heat. Check, replace or remove the heat riser to minimize this condition.

      StudeRich
      Studebakers Northwest
      Ferndale, WA
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

      Comment


      • #4
        Welcome to the forum New Cruiser! You might want to check on this websight about the Studrbaker Drivers Club! They have a special price for first time members and it includes a one year subsciption to Turning Wheels magazine which is all about Studebakers.! Another thing you might find handy is a Studebaker Shop Manual, Avalible from most Studebaker Vendors. Hope this helps you and have a great Studebaker Day!

        GARY H 2DR.SEDAN 48 STUDEBAKER CHAMPION NORTHEAST MD.

        Comment


        • #5
          Thanks for the help...
          quote:Originally posted by N8N

          intake should be engine color, bell telephone green. I'm not sure about the oil pan but the other parts you mention should be black. I am not sure about the degree of gloss because it all becomes semi-gloss over the years.

          nate

          --
          55 Commander Starlight
          http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

          Comment


          • #6
            Thanks for the help...
            quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

            Your 1954 232 Engine should have Olive Drab Studebaker and Packard Green as Nate said. The Oil Pan, Lifter Cover, and Intake are all the same as Block and Heads. The Valve Covers, Air Cleaner, Gen., starter, and Dist. are simi-gloss black. The Exhaust Manifolds were bare (rust) but would look the best in Eastwood Cast Iron Gray Hi-Temp manifold paint. I always put a little of that on the heat port of the intake as well, under the correct color to slow the "burn-off" down a bit. As it will burn off of the center exhaust port of the heads and the intake man. center port because of extreame heat. Check, replace or remove the heat riser to minimize this condition.

            StudeRich
            Studebakers Northwest
            Ferndale, WA

            Comment


            • #7
              Thanks for the help...
              quote:Originally posted by CHAMP

              Welcome to the forum New Cruiser! You might want to check on this websight about the Studrbaker Drivers Club! They have a special price for first time members and it includes a one year subsciption to Turning Wheels magazine which is all about Studebakers.! Another thing you might find handy is a Studebaker Shop Manual, Avalible from most Studebaker Vendors. Hope this helps you and have a great Studebaker Day!

              GARY H 2DR.SEDAN 48 STUDEBAKER CHAMPION NORTHEAST MD.

              Comment

              Working...
              X