Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Short Block Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Short Block Rebuild

I am getting (hopefully) a 61 Lark that runs but smokes. Local place gave me a $2900 estimate for a stock 259 short block. Any Stude re builders in Northern Indiana that can do a budget build. I mean, if it doesn't need a lot of stuff, I don't want to pay a bundle. This will be a stock driver. It probably just needs ring but I don't know. Joe

do a compression test and a leakdown test, if it passes both and has good hot oil pressure consider trying new valve seals before committing to a rebuild

nate

--
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel
    --
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Joe; it depends on what you mean by the term "REBUILDER"! Never go to one of those high volume wam-bam thank you mam "Rebuilders"! Go to a independent Garage either with the owner/mechanic's name on the sign or one that has owned it for a long while and old enough to at least know what Country a Studebaker is from!

Now on the other hand if you are looking for an SDC member close to you that would take it on that's a different story, your local Chapter members would know.

The whole reasoning behind all this is to find someone who as you said: will just give your tired 259 what it NEEDS, no more.

It may not need a rebuild, only an overhaul ie: rings, bearings, valve grind and check everything else, without new pistons and boring.
      keep in mind that a car this old will usually have acid etched bearings from long storage, so though not "WORN OUT" they still need replacement.

Also there is no such thing as a "short block rebuild", unless you have knowledge that the valves were done last year and are still good, you overhaul or rebuild the complete engine, including the heads.

StudeRich
      Studebakers Northwest
      Ferndale, WA
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

The heads have been re done in the past year or so.

Comment

I would not trust any ones word. Only when it is torn down and inspected. You can clean up a set of heads for less than $100.

Comment

Working...
          X