Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Oil leak at the fuel pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil leak at the fuel pump

I was having the front end lined up amd the guy found all this oil on the frame in the back of the cross bar where the steering mechanizim is, I cleaned it up and saw a little drip on the thing after a long drive. What is this condition is it a defect in the fuel pumps , what can be done about it.

Studebakers forever!
    Studebakers forever!

Some (most?) fuel pumps spray some oil out the vent. It can be excessive. The culprit is the seal on the pump piston, I think. The remedy is a new pump.

Tim K.
    '64 R2 GT Hawk
    Tim K.
    \'64 R2 GT Hawk

Comment

I know on my 51 v-8 has a oil seal inside . I have a new one ordered.

Comment

Rodney, if you remember way back maybe last year or 2006 when you were building the car, I am almost sure without searching your hundreds of answered questions that I or someone told you the best route to go on fuel pumps is rebuild an old original (OEM) Carter pump. Well, this is the reason! [:0] [V]

If we did not recommend that to you specifically, I am sure it was on one of the other DOZENS of complaint posts about the aftermarket Airtex copy of the poor quality AC (GM) replacement V-8 fuel pump leaking oil that have been posted since you have been on the Forum.

It is the actuating lever PIN that is the source, which is driven through the case. A very poor method, if the internal (crankcase to vent air) seal in the pump leaked, it would come out the vent, some do but most are at the pin which should not be there, rocking back and forth in the first place.

When I carry one of these as a "on the road" spare (which is all they are good for!) I use a center punch to slightly peen the case at each end of the pin to lock it, and then seal the hole on each end with silicone gasket sealer to "reduce" the oil pouring.

quote:Originally posted by studelover

/Cut/I cleaned it up and saw a little drip on the thing after a long drive. What is this condition is it a defect in the fuel pumps , what can be done about it./Cut/
        StudeRich
        Studebakers Northwest
        Ferndale, WA
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

I have found my old pump it is a carter "1530" the this is a aftermarket pump. The "new" pump that I have on the car now is a carter. If I were to rebuild this pump I don't know how to repair the oil leak situation. I am going to call Antique cellar and see if they can rebuild the pump or if some vendor knows the situation with these pumps and has one already rebuilt and ready for shipment.

Studebakers forever!
          Studebakers forever!

Comment

Working...
          X