Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Emergency brake handle (61 hawk)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emergency brake handle (61 hawk)

we adjusted the emergency brake today and as I pull it out it did not catchwhat is supposed to catch and hold the brake. When I pull the rod handle out is there a mechinizim that holes it? Then how is it released? I really want this thing to work right for obvious reasons[^]

Studebakers forever!
    Studebakers forever!

there's a little pawl that engages the ratchet teeth; I've had to replace several of those springs. It's a little bit of a pain in the butt as you have to pull the entire handle and front cable out of the car as an assembly, then disassemble on the bench, reinstall... it helps if you have a helper, as the little U-bolt that holds the other end of the front cable to the floorpan is really a two person job to reinstall (you'll have to pull the carpet back; it's right by the base of the gas pedal.)

nate

--
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel
    --
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

N8N, if I wanted to replace the whole thing are there vendors that sell it likew that? I have looked and I think something is missing from mine, even under the car the cable runs close to my pipes and the level that the rear cables run though seems lacking something.I do remember putting a J type bolt in the floor and running the cable though it it'd near the bolts for the gas pedal, Is there a diagram of this system somewhere in my manual?

Studebakers forever!
      Studebakers forever!

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studelover

N8N, if I wanted to replace the whole thing are there vendors that sell it likew that? I have looked and I think something is missing from mine, even under the car the cable runs close to my pipes and the level that the rear cables run though seems lacking something.I do remember putting a J type bolt in the floor and running the cable though it it'd near the bolts for the gas pedal, Is there a diagram of this system somewhere in my manual?

There's no GOOD-CLEAR diagram in the manuals of the entire set-up. But, I do have everything you need- provided your cables are good. If not, NEW cables are available from Fairborn Studebaker as well as most other vendors.

Studebakers forever!

Specializing in Studebaker Restoration
        Ray

www.raylinrestoration.com

Comment

Studeman, I found out today that the mechanic had the handle turned upside down, when I reversed it and pulled it out I could hear the sound N8N was refering to and the lever stayed out until I turned the handle and it retracted. The reason I think I am missing something is when I look under the car the cable is passing by and rubbing the exhuast pipe also one of the bolts that hold the gas pedal is also rubbing against the cable. It is working and holding thoughI have the "T" where the adjustment takes place and there is a lever that the cable hooks to with the "pin"

Studebakers forever!
          Studebakers forever!

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studelover

Studeman, I found out today that the mechanic had the handle turned upside down, when I reversed it and pulled it out I could hear the sound N8N was refering to and the lever stayed out until I turned the handle and it retracted.

You are missing the "pin" that keeps the handle from turning over too far. If you pull the handle out lock it, you should be able to feel a small hole in the rod.. I think a #10 machine screw will fit in the hole, but the original pin is splined and driven in

The reason I think I am missing something is when I look under the car the cable is passing by and rubbing the exhuast pipe

Yes, it does that on most cars... either try moving the exhaust, or manipulating the cable for better clearance

also one of the bolts that hold the gas pedal is also rubbing against the cable.

The J-bolt(for the emer-cable) may be in the wrong place... or you have the incorrect pedal-mounting bolts

It is working and holding thoughI have the "T" where the adjustment takes place and there is a lever that the cable hooks to with the "pin"

Studebakers forever!

Ray

www.raylinrestoration.com

Comment

Working...
            X