Daytona Dash Pad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daytona Dash Pad

I'm fairly new to the forums and this has probably been asked before, but what do you recommend to restore/replace a '62 Daytona Dash Pad?
    SASCO and SI both have caps listed, but neither can get them. Right now my only solution is Just Dashes @ $850 for a recast.

Any ideas?

Bill Jones
    Maunta, NJ

'62 Daytona 4-speed

Nice little car. [8D]

There's a guy somewhere who is making new ones, and from what I've heard, they're pretty nice.

Bob Andrews, you know who I'm talking about?

Matthew Burnette
    Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Are you saying that SASCO and SI are temporarily out or that there is some kind of problem with getting more made? I will need a cap for my Daytona before too long.

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona, both w/overdrive.Searcy,Arkansas
      "I may be lazy, but I'm not shiftless."
      "In the heart of Arkansas."
      Searcy, Arkansas
      1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
      1952 2R pickup

Comment

52-Fan, they just can't get them, for what reason I don't know. I've had one on backorder for almost a year. My new Phantom interior is coming in a few weeks and the dash will be the last thing needed to finish the inside of the car.

Hope Matthew and Bob come up with a source!

Bill Jones
        Maunta, NJ

'62 Daytona 4-speed

Comment

OK, I searched long enough and finally found the info.

Jim Lawrence
          Rt 1 Box 406
          New Martinsville, WV 26155
          PH: (304)337-8693

Here's a pic that Bpb A. took.

Matthew Burnette
          Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Someone who put up pics from Lancaster - showed one shot of a guy's display of 60-61-62 dash pads. They looked nice. And I'd bet they aren't the "rip" that Just dashes wants![}]

Edit: Thanks Matthew!

Miscreant Studebaker nut in California's central valley.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
            1960 Larkvertible V8
            1958 Provincial wagon
            1953 Commander coupe
            1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Does anyone remember how much those beautiful pieces are?

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona, both w/overdrive.Searcy,Arkansas
              "I may be lazy, but I'm not shiftless."
              "In the heart of Arkansas."
              Searcy, Arkansas
              1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
              1952 2R pickup

Comment

Jim Lawrence probably can make one, but it won't be an exact duplicate of factory. Unlike the earlier ones which were simply padded sheet vinyl, the 61-62 dashes were molded and don't hold up nearly as well.

nate

--
                55 Commander Starlight
                http://members.cox.net/njnagel
                --
                55 Commander Starlight
                http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

I was at Lancaster on Friday and didn't notice any dash pads other than Phantom's '55 Speedster.
                  I'll be calling Jim Lawrence, though!

Bill Jones
                  Maunta, NJ

'62 Daytona 4-speed

Comment

I just spoke to Jim Lawrence. Great guy. I missed him at Lancaster because he was there Tue, Wed, Thur and I was there Friday. His price is an unbelievable $150 (plus $20 core charge). They are not original grain, but he matches the color almost dead on. As such, he does not claim them to be "show" quality, but very good driver/cruise quality. He will be picking up a core for me at Reidsville in November; apparently he wants to start with a red core. I believe he has some black in stock.
                    The clincher- he says if you don't like it, send it back!

Bill Jones
                    Maunta, NJ

'62 Daytona 4-speed

Comment

Just looked in and saw the responses. Yep, Jim's the guy! I shot some video of his stuff at Lancaster; you can see it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tz8zajwRo2c

I've looked over his stuff closely and talked to him many times... I have yet to get my car to this point, but when I do this is where I'll go[^]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                      Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

He doesn't do '63s, does he?

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
                        '63 F2/Lark Standard
                        http://studeblogger.blogspot.com
                        www.studebakersandiego.com

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

As you know, the 63s are a lot more complicated. I don't know if he does them, or anyone else for that matter. I do see them turn up NOS occasionally on eBay; I bought a green one a couple years back for $110.

I wonder if there's any chance SASCO has any?

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                          Parish, central NY 13131

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

The only hope for a '63 dash is either the cap that SI sells, or Just Dashes.

Bams, I'm betting you bought a cover for a '64. Entirely different from a '63.

The SI cap seems to be the best way to go, to me at least. It's been a while, but I paid $150 for the cover. Nice fit, and looks great. It matched my NOS Vanity assembly quite well. [^]

Matthew Burnette
                            Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by mbstude

Bams, I'm betting you bought a cover for a '64. Entirely different from a '63.
                              You're right, it was for the '64 I was working on.

Where did you get the NOS vanity? I'm looking for one as well.

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Working...
                              X