Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Coil problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coil problems

On the way home today, the R2 Hawk started to act up. At higher revs it would just flatten out and miss. It idled worse than usual and when I was about 2/3 of way home it quit at a stop sign and wouldn't restart. I coasted to a shady spot and began the diagnosis, fuel ok, spark was there but mostly yellow. After trying to restart it several times and not getting it to fire I decided to change the coil. I had one in the trunk so on the engine it went along with the required ballast resistor. It fired up immediately and ran great all the way home.
    The failed coil is a Pertronix Flame Thrower and this is the second one that has let me down. Are these things not very reliable? Do they have a problem when they are run using points, which my car has?
    If you are using one of these 'hot' coils you bypass the resistor. Does this then mean that because the coil has an internal resistor that when you start the car it no longer gets 12 volts direct through the green wire? My car doesn't have a pink wire and I've only used the resistor with the appropriate coil. As far as I know Pertronix doesn't make a coil for use with an external resistor. I think I'll just stick to standard coils unless someone can tell me there is a good reason to try this again.

Tim K.
    '64 R2 GT Hawk
    Tim K.
    \'64 R2 GT Hawk

Yes Tim, that is correct; the green 12 volt "start only" kicker from the "I" ignition small Term. of the solenoid is no longer used or needed and is unnecessary, since you have already supplied a full 12V all of the time, by using the non-resistor "hot" wire direct from the coil to the Ign. Switch instead of from the resistor when you had the Pertronix internal resistor coil mounted.

Jet Thrust Hawks all have a resistor mounted on the coil, so would not have the pink resistor wire.

You will however now, of course need the resistor connected with a standard coil, or you will burn the points.

StudeRich
    Studebakers Northwest
    Ferndale, WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

I put in a 12 volt coil with an internal resistor.I don't know the voltage it puts to the points, it's less than 12 volts. I have driven 1500 miles on two trip-meets and another 200 miles local driving. The points seem fine, car starts easy, drives smooth and idles smooth.

Comment

Working...
      X