Black Bart Special update!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black Bart Special update!

I just got word this afternoon that the block for the BBS (185 OHV 6) is ready!

And dang it, we're going out of town for the next 2 weeks...I guess I'll wait a bit more to get going.

Ron

Ron Dame
    '63 Champ
    Ron Dame
    '63 Champ

Glad to hear that the block is a good one. Aren't that many Clover Leaf OHV 6's around.

Matthew Burnette
    Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Your title caught my eye- the winningest race car I ever drove was called Black Bart[^]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
      Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

I finally got to play today. The new block is just great. Mark the Machinist and I spent a a bit of time (no cost!) verifying the piston skirt clearance is good at 0.0015", main and rod bearing clearance at 0.002". I'm happy after the debacle of the last machinist. Today I installed a piston on a rod to find out where I'll have to clearance the block for the 185 crank. Conventional wisdom suggested the big end of the rod would not clear the bottom of the bore, so I was really happy when that cleared with almost 1/2" to spare! The I realized the tight spot is about 1/3 of the way from the big end to the small end of the rod, where the angle of the rod is the greatest. The rod does not hit, but just by an RCH. So tomorrow I'll start clearancing the block, and as soon as I replenish my play fund, the twirlly bits go to the race shop for balancing.

This is great!

Ron Dame
        '63 Champ
        Ron Dame
        '63 Champ

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Ron Dame

I finally got to play today. The new block is just great. Mark the Machinist and I spent a a bit of time (no cost!) verifying the piston skirt clearance is good at 0.0015", main and rod bearing clearance at 0.002". I'm happy after the debacle of the last machinist. Today I installed a piston on a rod to find out where I'll have to clearance the block for the 185 crank. Conventional wisdom suggested the big end of the rod would not clear the bottom of the bore, so I was really happy when that cleared with almost 1/2" to spare! The I realized the tight spot is about 1/3 of the way from the big end to the small end of the rod, where the angle of the rod is the greatest. The rod does not hit, but just by an RCH. So tomorrow I'll start clearancing the block, and as soon as I replenish my play fund, the twirlly bits go to the race shop for balancing.

This is great!

Ron Dame
          '63 Champ
          As usual, everything is behind schedule. About what you'd expect from a Champion 170, huh?

Anyway, on top of balancing, the crank will be counter bored to accept a V8 pilot bushing, the flywheel (a spare, which is rusty and nasty) will be both resurfaced and a pound or three will be removed from the outer edges of this really heavy truck flywheel. Rods will be matched for length, checked for straightness, matched to the pistons for both length, and if needed, adjusted for height.

The cost is quite a bit more than I expected, but these guys have a really good reputation. They build mostly
          NASCAR V8s, and did several of Dale Ernhardt seniors engines, but
          aren't afraid of 4-valve motorcycle engines, cross-flow Formula
          Atlantic Toyotas and such either.

Still, it seems that $400 for all of this is a bit steep. Whatdya all say?

Ron Dame
          '63 Champ
          Ron Dame
          '63 Champ

Comment

$400.00 for what you are talking about is a steal.. you should buy two at that price!

Comment

quote:Originally posted by whacker

$400.00 for what you are talking about is a steal.. you should buy two at that price!
              Thanks...but understand, the block and head work are not included...just balancing and lightening the flywheel. Still a steal?

Ron Dame
              '63 Champ
              Ron Dame
              '63 Champ

Comment

Thanks...but understand, the block and head work are not included...just balancing and lightening the flywheel. Still a steal?

Ron Dame
                '63 Champ
                Does this include all of the balancing or JUST the flywheel? If it's just the flywheel, that's MIGHTY expensive . . . .

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Allan Songer

Ron Dame
                  '63 Champ
                  Does this include all of the balancing or JUST the flywheel? If it's just the flywheel, that's MIGHTY expensive . . . .
                  Nope the whole schlameel. Balancing and all.Just no block or head work, or assembly. I had been given the impression it was about a $200- $250 deal.

Ron Dame
                  '63 Champ
                  Ron Dame
                  '63 Champ

Comment

Everything is balanced, they just needed the pilot bushing to be able to bore the crank to accept it. SO I stopped by with the bushing this afternoon.

Wow, am I ever glad I had it balanced! Based on the holes drilled in the balancer and flywheel, this thing would have shook itself to death in no time! Boy it all looks pretty, though. The flywheel has been lightened too, but about 1 3/4 lbs at the periphery, where it will do the most good. I hate to say it, but the dang thing is still almost 35 lbs! So any weight removed should help it rev better. I'll post pix when I get it back towards the end of the week.

Ron Dame
                    '63 Champ
                    Ron Dame
                    '63 Champ

Comment

$#!T. Another delay...Barnes and Reese just got a truckload (24 actually) of Busch series engines to finish before the end of the year...and all that's left on mine is drilling for the pilot bushing.

Everything is balanced, they just needed the pilot bushing to be able to bore the crank to accept it. SO I stopped by with the bushing this afternoon.

Wow, am I ever glad I had it balanced! Based on the holes drilled in the balancer and flywheel, this thing would have shook itself to death in no time! Boy it all looks pretty, though. The flywheel has been lightened too, but about 1 3/4 lbs at the periphery, where it will do the most good. I hate to say it, but the dang thing is still almost 35 lbs! So any weight removed should help it rev better. I'll post pix when I get it back towards the end of the week.

Ron Dame
                      '63 Champ
                      Ron Dame
                      '63 Champ
                      Ron Dame
                      '63 Champ

Comment

Working...
                      X