Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

53 and 54 front bumpers/ what's the difference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 53 and 54 front bumpers/ what's the difference

I have an opportunity to buy a 54 4 door champion regal, and it has a near mint front bumper. I would like to use it on my 53 coupe. I thought the 53 and 54 had the same bumpers, but upon looking in the parts book I see a different number. Someone spill the beans.

Tex E. Grier

I THINK the bumpers are different between the 4 door and coupe.I dont know about between the 53 and 54 although I believe I remember reading in John Bridges book the guards changed.Steve
    sigpic

Comment

The Parts Catalog lists the same front bumper part number for ALL body styles for 1953 cars or 1954 cars.

It does list a DIFFERENT part number for 53s vs 54s however (as flashback already posted).

Oddly enough, the part number for a 1954 Canadian car bumper is the same as the part number for a 1953 US car bumper.

My GUESS is that the bumper will fit fine and that the PN difference is not a form, fit or function difference that will be noticed.

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

Dick is right on the way it is listed in the book. I am trying to build a "correct" 53 coupe. Has anyone ever actually switched these bumpers and noticed what the difference was, if any? I don't want Matthew or one of the other judges to catch me with a incorrect bumper.

Tex E. Grier

Comment

I assume that you know that '53 C/K used the small/short bumperettes and the '53 sedans as well as all '54s used the large/tall bumperettes. I don't remember if the mounting holes for these different bumperettes were different for each style.

Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Yes, I am aware of the difference in the guards, and the holes on both seem to be the same, although I am not sure. It is strange that
            the Canadian built 54 used the same part number as the 53. I am sure some else has run into this. Can you answer this?

Tex E. Grier

Comment

I have a bumper from a '54 C body on my '53 K. I remember removing the big guards from that '54 and tossing them in the car when I pulled the bumper. I never noticed any difference from the original '53 bumper I took off my car (bent and cracked). I have the stock small guards on the '53 and they fit fine. All the holes for the brackets, etc lined up and no extras or missing ones, etc So, no idea why there are different P/Ns [?]

As a small note about the big guards: '53 Sedan guards are taller than the '53 C/K ones but they are not the same as the '54 and up ones. They are slimmer and more rounded at the front.

Jeff in ND

'53 Champion Hardtop

Jeff in ND

Comment

Thanks, Jeff. This is the kind of hands on info I need. Any judges out there that have anything to say about the difference? Anyone else swapped one?

Tex E. Grier

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Flashback

I have an opportunity to buy a 54 4 door champion regal, and it has a near mint front bumper. I would like to use it on my 53 coupe. I thought the 53 and 54 had the same bumpers, but upon looking in the parts book I see a different number. Someone spill the beans.
                  Tex E. Grier
                  My Hollander Interchange Manual says all '53-'54 Stude cars used the same front face bar (front bumper). The coupes and HT's used two different types of back bars (mounting brackets). The early C-K's ( to ser.#1216626 for the Champion and ser.#8303083 for the Commander used the back bars with a 1/2" lift from horizonal at the frame attaching end. The '53-'54 C-K's after those serial numbers had back bars with a 1" lift from horizonal at the frame attaching end.

Has anyone noticed that the early '53 C-K's front bumper sets 1/2" lower than the later ones?

Jerry Forrester
                  Douglasville, Georgia
                  Be sure to check out my eBay store
                  http://stores.ebay.com/CHROME-CHROME-CHROME_ and my EZ33 store http://tinyurl.com/2g2j88
                  for your shiny Stude stuff

More pix of Leo the '55 Pres HT here...http://tinyurl.com/2gj6cu
                  Jerry Forrester
                  Forrester's Chrome
                  Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

Thanks for the info Jerry

Tex E. Grier

Comment

Working...
                    X