Carter WCFB with McCulloch vs Stromberg 2bbl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carter WCFB with McCulloch vs Stromberg 2bbl

I currently have a 1957 GH 289 with the 2bbl airbox set up under the hood of my 1955 President. I will anyway need to do some service as the unit got noisy after a few hundred miles that I had time to spend on the road this summer.

I have been considering to change that into a Carter WCFB with an early period correct bonnet. However, this bonnet like many of the early ones do not have the flapper valve. Would that be an issue -- would you recommend to modify the bonnet to have a flapper valve ?

Would you recommend to replace the 2bbl airbox set up with this Carter WCFB and what would be issues to consider ? Or should I stay with the GH airbox and the 2 bbl. ( The R2 bonnet looks to modern to me..)

http://i421.photobucket.com/albums/p...lochbonnet.jpg

http://i421.photobucket.com/albums/p...5President.jpg

Pekka

1955 President State Coupe

1961 Lark Regal VIII Convertible
    sigpic

1960 Lark VIII Regal convertible - 1964 Daytona Wagonaire

Are you sure you meant to say WCFB and not AFB instead? WCFB's are not intended for blow through applications! My opinion, stay with the 57 GH 2 barrel enclosed setup. Can't answer your flapper valve question, although I am running without one currently on my R-2 as the engine swallowed the rubber disc

Frank van Doorn
    1962 GT Hawk 4 speed
    1963 Daytona Conv
    1941 Champion R-2 Rod
    Frank van Doorn
    Omaha, Ne.
    1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
    1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
    1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Thanks for comments Frank. I did mean the WCFB as to my understanding the very early kits (1955-) were based on the idea of using the WCFB ( with some modifications). This I think I also picked from the VS57 site as well from some old magazine articles. One reason to keep it more period correct is our local car insurance system. Once approved to be 99-100 % period correct -- my annual insurance drops from 1000 USD to 200 USD... ( our national system is not favoring modified old cars as they are treated like brand new cars in terms insurance fees ... but that is another story.[xx(])
      I still want to keep the McCulloch under the hood and get it approved as " you could buy these parts/ equipment in 1955". Thus, the WCFB and the early bonnet might enable me to save a lot on insurance and still enable me to drive a mildly modified Studebaker.[8D]

Pekka

1955 President State Coupe

1961 Lark Regal VIII Convertible
      sigpic

Comment

Hi, Frank,

What features of the
        quote:WCFB's are not intended for blow through applications!
        I seem to remember a couple Corvettes with two WCFBs with a McCulloch/Paxton back in the day, but possibly they were modified somehow.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
        PackardV8

Comment

The only thing you will gain by using the WCFB over the Stromberg/airbox is top-end speed. And that will be very little.

I mulled over this situation while building the engine for my truck..
          According to TED HARBIT... The 2bbl/box gives better low-end torque, and throttle response. Better overall "driveability", gas mileage,and a few other things I don't remember right now...
          Unless you are drag-racing, or on the Autobahn.. stick with the 2bbl setup and just make sure you tune for your location.

I doubt the insurance co. will call you on your 2bbl.

Ray

Specializing in Studebaker Restoration
          Ray

www.raylinrestoration.com
          Specializing in Studebaker Restoration

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Studeman

The only thing you will gain by using the WCFB over the Stromberg/airbox is top-end speed. And that will be very little.

I mulled over this situation while building the engine for my truck..
            According to TED HARBIT... The 2bbl/box gives better low-end torque, and throttle response. Better overall "driveability", gas mileage,and a few other things I don't remember right now...
            Unless you are drag-racing, or on the Autobahn.. stick with the 2bbl setup and just make sure you tune for your location.

I doubt the insurance co. will call you on your 2bbl.

Ray
            sigpic

Comment

Working...
            X