front seal leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• front seal leak

It appears I might have a front seal leak letting out a little oil. I understand the job of replacing it but wonder what you folks think about some of the "magic" solutions of an oil additive. The leak has not been troublesome and has not really lower the oil capacity to any great extent but would like to stop it to try to keep the engine compartment clean.

It appears that the "magic" additives generally have a chemical designed to soften or swell the lip of rubber seals. The Studebaker front seal is a felt seal, so these additives would probably have no effect at all.

Jim Bradley
    Lewistown PA
    '64 Daytona HT "Rerun"
    Jim Bradley
    Lake Monticello, VA
    '78 Avanti II
    sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the prompt reply.
      It is so great to get access to all the knowledge and experience that lies within these forums.

Comment

I have observed that oil will find it's way down the snout of the crank between the crank steel gear, hub and snout, essentially bypassing the seal. This oil will throw out between the hub and pulley faces. To counter that I have begun to use Hylomar HPV, a grease like sealant on the crank snout and at the various interfaces - thrust washer to slinger to hub and pulleys. It seems to be a good thing to do, but time will tell if it stops some (or all) of the front leaking. I suspect a lot of the front end leaks are incorrectly blamed on the felt seal.

Comment

Oops. That's Permatex Hylomar HPF. HPV is something to stay away from.

Comment

If you decide to replace the front seal, there is a kit available to upgrade the felt seal to a neoprene seal with a sleeve. This is available from Phil Harris of Fairborn Studebaker.

Jim Bradley
            Lewistown PA
            '64 Daytona HT "Rerun"
            Jim Bradley
            Lake Monticello, VA
            '78 Avanti II
            sigpic

Comment

Working...
            X