Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

noise engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• noise engine

I took the 61 hawk with rebuilt 289 out for the first time, neats foot oil in the brake booster. I went around the block and it seems to have some good power however I did not go crazy. I noticed the motor makes alot of noise and I think it's the valves. We broke the motor in and everything. The motor seems to rock back side to side. I gues we will try to check the timing and see if there are any vacume leaks, any suggestions before we crack the valve covers? It revs very well.

Studebakers forever!
    Studebakers forever!

You should hear the valves, but not loudly. If they are very noisy, they probably need a lot of adjustment. This out of adjustment condition will adversely affect the performance of the engine.

Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

will it cause the motor not to run steady and even? I am concerned that maybe my timing is a little off, If I had the cam reground I guess I will have to set it where it runs the best.

Studebakers forever!
      Studebakers forever!

Comment

Both of what is mentioned NEED to be reset after a few miles on the road...as does a carburetor adjustment check.

The valve adjustment is a DEFINATE requirement...along with an oil change (400 or 500 miles).

And yes, all three, the valve adjustment AND the timing AND the carb. adjustment (AFTER the valves and timing have been properly adjusted) will cause rough running and or idling.

Even if the cam regrind was off...because of what's done during this process, you most likely would not notice any cam timing problems in the way the engine runs.
        Now if the cams were "switched" on you....but I seriously doubt that happened either.

Properly adjust everything (carbuetor last), noted above and see what happens.

Mike

Comment

Was the cam reground with stock profile, or a hotter than stock grind?

Comment

It was hotter than stock, ok I see your pointabout the valves needed to be readjusted because today it was different than yesterday. I think I will put some miles on it first thann try to quiet my valve train. I will not use the timing mark as THE markand after all has been done I will do the carb last. Thanks all makes sense to me.

Studebakers forever!
            Studebakers forever!

Comment

Are the clearances getting tighter or looser, and how much?

Comment

sounds like it got tighter that's why we will wait a while

Studebakers forever!
                Studebakers forever!

Comment

Whoever supplied the reground cam should have included new valve clearance specifications that are probably less than the original stock settings.

Dwain G.

Comment

I drove the car today and there is a great difference from last week. I guess things are starting to mesh together, I adjusted the carb and took it out for a spin. When I got back the car seemed very different.I had a spring on the carb that was way to tight, I moved it then I took it out on a streatch of highway and heard the car change gears for the first time I also made the passing gear come in. The car has lots of power and it has a great hole shot. I had to fight the temptation as burning rubber will be very easy. I also noticed that all the great sound coming from the mufflers does not come inside the car. I took it back to the mechanic and now believe that only a couple vales need to be adjusted on the passenger side I can hear one or two. I think the worse is over

Studebakers forever!
                    Studebakers forever!

Comment

Well, I now know why the motor was noisey, I have three adjustment screws that where "worn" My question is if I just change the adjustment screws will this solve my problem? What usually wears out on the rocker? I have not looked at the threading of the rocker do they wear? If this is my only problem I am way ahead of the game[]

Studebakers forever!
                      Studebakers forever!

Comment

1. cam wear
                        2. lifter wear
                        3. pushrod wear (both ends (little actual wear)
                        4. rocker arm wear (pushrod end, adjuster nut)
                        5. rocker arm wear (valve end)
                        6. rocker arm wear (shaft)
                        7. shaft wear
                        8. valve tip wear
                        9. valve seat wear
                        10. head seat wear

Hope that helps muddy things up some...!
                        In any case...spend the few minutes and adjust the rocker arms and keep a check on them...it will show you if things are going bad somewhere. It's up to you to keep and eye on things and IF things get weird, then you'll have to figure out which one of the ten things above is the problem.

Mike

Comment

Beautiful car! []

Dick Steinkamp
                          Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
                          Bellingham, WA

Comment

Rodney; not that you really need something else to fix, but you need to figure out a way to tuck those tail pipes up into the cutouts in the rear stone pan where they belong, or you will damage or lose those $75.00 ea. Exhaust Extensions when going up driveway aprons! [V] [:0]

StudeRich
                            Studebakers Northwest
                            Ferndale, WA
                            StudeRich
                            Second Generation Stude Driver,
                            Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Working...
                            X