X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studeman
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by Dan White

Only issue is that my valve covers do not have the hole for the spark plug clip. I believe that on R-series cars the clip only came on Larks? The Hawk valve covers did not have clips if I remember right.
    As JDP said... If you don't have the valve-cover clip... you have Avanti chrome valve covers.
    It is VERY important to install the 2nd return spring. It makes sure the throttle returns from WOT... Sometimes, the linkage can get stuck "over-center" and not return without that spring. Unfortunately, you are kinda stuck with what you have... and you can't install one easily. You may be able to install another return-spring clip on the rear valve-cover stud. I don't like the angle, but It's better than the alternative.

Ray

Specializing in Studebaker Restoration

Leave a comment:

• JDP
    replied
    The clip is part of the valve cover except on Avanti's. There is a tar soaked sleeve`on the positive battery cable where it lays on the inner fender too.

JDP/Maryland
    "I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."
    Thomas Jefferson

Leave a comment:

• Dan White
    replied
    Thanks Ray just what I needed! Only issue is that my valve covers do not have the hole for the spark plug clip. I believe that on R-series cars the clip only came on Larks? The Hawk valve covers did not have clips if I remember right.

Dan

Dan White
    64 R1 GT
    64 R2 GT

Leave a comment:

• GTtim
    replied
    Hey Ray, you're good at this!

Tim K.
    '64 R2 GT Hawk

Leave a comment:

• Studeman
    replied
    For your car (if originally an R1)... the spring bracket mounts on the furthest forward intake manifold bolt on the left side.(2bbls mount to the thermostat housing). Your car should use a BLUE return spring there. The other return spring mounts at the connection of the carburetor rod and throttle bellcrank. This one runs to the valve cover, and attaches to the hole drilled in the spark-plug clip.

The battery cables are BOTH 22" long. Originally they were #4 wire, but I much prefer #2. The solenoid-to-starter cable is 32" long #1 wire and is covered in a tar-soaked cotton sleeve.

The Positive cable goes to the solenoid, while the ground runs to the TOP LEFT bolt on the WATER MANIFOLD. If you have power steering, it goes BETWEEN the special bolt's head and the pump adjustment slot.

The battery is mounted with the positive post to the rear- and the posts on the engine-side of the compartment. MOST people change this , and use a longer ground strap. IF you have the correct battery style/size, you won't have a hood clearance issue with the battery. People get in trouble when they use a battery that is too tall, or they put a battery-saver pad beneath them (+ battery post hits hood).

The clip on the steering box is for a short loop of spring- to hold the power steering hoses away from the exhaust manifold. This spring is encased in a rubber sleeve (I use shrink-tubing).

Ray

Specializing in Studebaker Restoration

Leave a comment:

• Dan White
    started a topic Hawk item location questions

Hawk item location questions

I am redoing all my under hood dash stuff on my R1 Hawk and need to know where the throttle return spring bracket is located and the proper length of the battery cables. Mine did not have a spring bracket and the battery cables were crap and who knows where they came from. Also, there appears to be a small spring bracket attached to the steering box nothing is there, anyone know what it is for?

Thanks

Dan White
    64 R1 GT
    64 R2 GT
Working...
X