Low beam problems 50 Champion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low beam problems 50 Champion

For some reasons, my low beams quit working(both sides,same time)..high beams are fine. In years past, have replaced the dash headlight switch,repaired probem that was causing the breaker in that switch to trip.Also replaced the dimmer switch--before I figured out that wasn't the real problem(short in one of the wires elsewhwere). Would both filaments on both sides for the low beams go out for the 'lows' and not the 'highs'? Would replacing the sealed beams on both sides(inexpensive and never replaced--pretty dull,some brown spots inside above bulb)be a possible solution since I have already replaced all the switches fairly recently and corrected a short or two in the process(not in the switches or immediate area). Thanks for any advice on the subject. Chuck

There should be a terminal block for the headlights attached to the fan shroud, or not far from the hood latch. Use a test lamp there, with the headlights turned on to low beam, and see if you can find voltage. If the test lamp lights, that would indicate that the dimmer switch and headlight switch are OK, and the problem is between the terminal block and the lamps themselves.

Yes, I'd expect the low beams to burn out first, since they are usually run a lot more.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
    Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Something sounds fishy here. For both of the low beams to go out together, and the high beams to work find says that the dimmer switch is getting voltage for the headlights. The dimmer switch is what makes the decision where the voltage is directed, either high beam filaments or low beam filaments UNLESS the dimmer switch is wired wrong. Make sure the dimmer switch is wired correctly. You can check out the dimmer switch with an Ohm meter to see that continuity is relized between the operating leg of the switch to both terminals. I'm not critisizing you, I'm just remembering that is what caused my exact problem when I wired my dimmer switch wrong. Great bright lights, but no low beams, and I knew I had a good dimmer switch. And besides, since I'm an Electronics Technician, I should certainly do better than make such a mistake of mis-wiring a circuit.
      Luckly that is not a circuit where miswiring will cause smoke trails.

Comment

For what it is worth: When I rewired my '55 the harness was pinched when ever the brake pedal was used. As I recall I removed a panel to get into the dimmer switch. The harness is now properly secured so it will not migrate towards the linkage of the break pedal.

Comment

Working...
        X