Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

R3 headers in a '56 sedan--no go without mods?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R3 headers in a '56 sedan--no go without mods?

I dropped the R1 and T85 into the '56 sedan last weekend and there's a problem. The cast iron "R3" headers will not fit--there is interference at the pitman arm. The only "easy" way to make this work would be to raise the engine about an inch, something I just wasn't prepared to do and I'm not sure it's such a good idea anyway.

I am assuming that a late steering box from a Lark will solve the problem, but I really REALLY want to keep the original wheel and steering column jacket!!!

Anyone out there done this? I could really use some input . ..

Anyone modified a later box to go with an early shaft? Or has anyone run R3 headers in a sedan with the original box?

Hi Allan, sorry that is not working out for you. Larry Chalfant in the Orange Empire Chapter, has done this on his '54 Commander Starlight by having the hollow upper shaft welded to the solid shaft of the '61-'66 gearbox and several other members also have done this. Larry's story was printed in an old Turning Wheels with complete drawings and all for the coupes (C/K).

It would be very much the same process but way easier on Sedan, because the steering gear "should" fit the frame and dash very well from a Lark Sedan to a early sedan, then all you have to do is mate the two different shafts and fit the early jacket to it.

StudeRich
    Studebakers Northwest
    Ferndale, WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

Hi Allan, sorry that is not working out for you. Larry Chalfant in the Orange Empire Chapter, has done this on his '54 Commander Starlight by having the hollow upper shaft welded to the solid shaft of the '61-'66 gearbox and several other members also have done this. Larry's story was printed in an old Turning Wheels with complete drawings and all for the coupes (C/K).

It would be very much the same process but way easier on Sedan, because the steering gear "should" fit the frame and dash very well from a Lark Sedan to a early sedan, then all you have to do is mate the two different shafts and fit the early jacket to it.

StudeRich
      Studebakers Northwest
      Ferndale, WA
      You wouldn't know how I could get a copy of that, would you?

Comment

No, sorry I do not! I don't have the TW Index and also do not have excess to all of my old copies of TW. [V]

StudeRich
        Studebakers Northwest
        Ferndale, WA
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Allen,
          I'm sure I won't be right here but thought I'd throw this out. My buddy had a similar problem on a Lark type with the headers. It turned out he had either the rear or front engine mount in the wrong holes.

Comment

I had this problem with r2 headers and a ross original gearbox in a 259 in a 53 coupe. I added power steering from a 61 62 lark, and the pitman arm was a little bigger than the original, and rubbed the header. I wound up grinding one side of the pitman a litttle flat, and taking a little metal off the cast iron header, which is quite thick, enough on both contacting surfaces to give me about 1/8 inch clearance. So far it's been ok. There isn't much stress on that pitman, its quite thick.

ok

Comment

Working...
            X