how to bring a car into canada from usa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to bring a car into canada from usa

can someone please explain to me the easest way to bring in a car from usa to canada the easyway thanks
    mike

If it's older than 15 years you won't have to bring it up to provincial specs to get it registered. You need an ownership or title and a bill of sale. If no title you'll have big problems at the US Border and Homeland Security. You have to fax your title, etc to US Customs at least 72 hours before you intend to cross. No title, no exit, unless they mark it as parts or salvage and then you'll have a big title problem in Canada. I can dig out the info from when I did this last year, if you can't find it by google. I came across at Detroit. Where's the car and where will it be coming across?
    Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Just another thought, if you're going to be spending $ on it once you get it across, register it in your name as "unfit" until you get it road ready. No sense paying the provincial sales tax on the government's Guestimate of the value of your car. Pay the tax on what you paid for it. You'll pay GST at the Canadian border. PST will be calculated on the value when you register it in your name. If you fix it up first, your paying taxes on all the parts that you added AND ALREADY PAID THE TAX ON!
      Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Hi Mike,

Start by looking here:
        http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/importation/impusae.htm

I bought my 51 Land Cruiser on EBay from Pittsburgh and had it shipped to my home in Victoria. I arranged for a Customs Broker through the shipper and they looked after all the paperwork. They charged less than $300 so it was well worth the money. However, I know people that have brought in cars without using a customs broker and they say it's not that big a deal once you've done it once or twice.

Do you plan to bring the car in yourself or have it shipped? My experience with the shipping company was poor but the importation went without a hitch, thanks to the customs broker.

Nice to see another Islander on the forum. I look forward to meeting you sometime, probably at the next NW Overdrive in the Spring.

Cheers!

Jim

"Ahh, a bear in his natural habitat...a Studebaker!"
        Fozzie Bear in 'The Muppet Movie'

51 Land Cruiser (Elsie)
        Jim Mann
        Victoria, B.C.
        Canada
        \"Ahh, a bear in his natural habitat...a Studebaker!\"

51 Land Cruiser (Elsie)
        Jim Mann
        Victoria, B.C.
        Canada

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeMann

Hi Mike,

Nice to see another Islander on the forum. I look forward to meeting you sometime, probably at the next NW Overdrive in the Spring.

Cheers!

Jim Mann
          Victoria, B.C.
          Canada
          Well hopefully both of you fellows will make it to a Chapter meeting before then!

<h5>Mark
          '57 Transtar Deluxe
          Vancouver Island

Are you planning to attend the NW Overdrive Tour in Parksville, BC
          May 23 & 24, 2009?
          </h5>
          Mark Hayden
          '66 Commander
          Zone Coordinator
          Pacific Can-Am Zone

Comment

It depends entirely on the jurisdiction. If you bring it across as a salvage or parts vehicle in BC, you cannot then rebuild and register. When we've imported cars we've paid PST & GST on the purchase price of the vehicle, as per the bill of sale, converted to Cdn dollars, not on some bureaucrat's guestimate. You have to show your import papers when you register, and as tax has already been paid, you won't be charged again. If it's coming in to BC check out ICBC.com and sva.bc.org (Specialty Vehicle Association of BC) There was a period over the last 10 years in BC where you could not register the vehicle until it had passed the import inspection, which created a LOT of ire among the collector crowd. This decision has since been reversed, and I understand you can once again get a 'ghost' registration for a vehicle which you want to transfer into your name, but does not yet meet roadworthy standards.

Judy

quote:Originally posted by warrlaw1

Just another thought, if you're going to be spending $ on it once you get it across, register it in your name as "unfit" until you get it road ready. No sense paying the provincial sales tax on the government's Guestimate of the value of your car. Pay the tax on what you paid for it. You'll pay GST at the Canadian border. PST will be calculated on the value when you register it in your name. If you fix it up first, your paying taxes on all the parts that you added AND ALREADY PAID THE TAX ON!

Comment

I've just noted that warrlaw1 is in Ontario. That's a private insurance province and a WHOLE different kettle of fish than what we have in BC. As I mentioned - check with your jurisdiction as to what's required for registration, etc., but generally getting it INTO Canada is not a big deal, if you follow the rules - send your paperwork to US Customs at least 72 hours before you bring the vehicle across, and make sure the border you're planning on bringing it across at will actually do import vehicles (both sides) Some US jurisdictions will not do vehicle exports on the weekends, so find all this out in advance. Once they've approved the paper, they have to check the vehicle and make sure it matches the paper, then they'll send you on your way, through to the Canada side where you'll pay your taxes. Make sure all your numbers match and you have all the right paper for import and registration, and it's a snap. I usually go the extra mile and have the seller sign an APV9 (BC) and a bill of sale, just to cover ALL the bases.

Comment

Well hopefully both of you fellows will make it to a Chapter meeting before then!

<h5>Mark
                '57 Transtar Deluxe
                Vancouver Island

Are you planning to attend the NW Overdrive Tour in Parksville, BC
                May 23 & 24, 2009?
                </h5>

[/quote]

Hi Mark,

I would love to make it to a chapter meeting but they are always on Sundays and I usually have other ongoing commitments on Sundays. I was all geared up for the up-island event that was supposed to be on a Saturday this spring only to find out it was changed to a Sunday again.

I guess Saturdays don't work for everyone else in the local chapter and Sundays don't work for me so it will probably be quite a while before I meet many of the other local members.

BTW, you may know the 56 Transtar that belongs to Anne Christensen in Victoria. I sold that truck to Jim & her about 23 years ago. I also sold them a 63 Lark VI sedan that they drove for years. I have owned 5 Studebakers in total over the last 25 years but am only getting active again with the hobby in the last year since I got my Land Cruiser.

Cheers!

Jim

"Ahh, a bear in his natural habitat...a Studebaker!"
                Fozzie Bear in 'The Muppet Movie'

51 Land Cruiser (Elsie)
                Jim Mann
                Victoria, B.C.
                Canada
                \"Ahh, a bear in his natural habitat...a Studebaker!\"

51 Land Cruiser (Elsie)
                Jim Mann
                Victoria, B.C.