6V Battery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6V Battery

Any advice on jumpstarting or boosting a 6V positive ground system on a 50 Champion before I wear the pieces?

Thanks a bunch

smart alec answer is with another 6v battery. Seeing the probable difficulties involved in that possibility, I bought a 6 volt charger with a fast charge setting. Won't suffice for jumping, but will do the job in about an hour or so. And since the availability of a 6v jump will never change, the price of the charger becomes quite a wise investment in my opinion.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

I've had my car (6 volt) jumped several times with a 12 volt battery, no problems. Of course you have all your accessories turned off, so only the starter and the coil gets the full shot. The starter will live a long time on 12 volts, the coil won't be hurt for a few minutes. Make sure its Negative to Negative and Positive to Positive. I had one Yahoo say "Its gotta be a Negative Ground, I've never heard of a Positive Ground" and sparks flew, but there as no damage.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
      Tom Bredehoft
      '53 Commander Coupe
      '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
      (Under Construction 466 hrs.)
      '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
      All Indiana built cars

Comment

Jump starting a six-volt positive earth system from a twelve-volt negative earth source:

Connect jumper from negative terminal to negative terminal.
        Connect jumper to positive terminal of twelve-volt source.
        Have someone start ignition in dead vehicle and firmly but quickly touch the positive jumper to the positive terminal of the dead battery.

If your six-volt vehicle has a generator, rather than an alternator, the generator will supply enough to get where you want to go, but do get your battery and charging system checked.
        "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10,
        '51 Commander Starlight,
        '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
        '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

Thanks for the help guys.So you're saying even if it's a positive earth or ground system,you would still hook up - to - and + to +.I'll give it a shot and see what happens.

Comment

Yep thats exactly what they are saying and thats just what I have been doing for the past few days.Tight engine waiting for starter parts.

Mabel 1949 Champion
            1957 Silverhawk
            1955 Champion 4Dr.Regal
            Gus 1958 Transtar
            1955 President State
            Fresno,Ca
            Mabel 1949 Champion
            Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
            Gus 1958 Transtar
            The Prez 1955 President State
            Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
            Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
            Fresno,Ca

Comment

I've had my car (6 volt) jumped several times with a 12 volt battery, no problems. Of course you have all your accessories turned off, so only the starter and the coil gets the full shot. The starter will live a long time on 12 volts, the coil won't be hurt for a few minutes. Make sure its Negative to Negative and Positive to Positive. I had one Yahoo say "Its gotta be a Negative Ground, I've never heard of a Positive Ground" and sparks flew, but there as no damage.

==================================================================

Said very well, I've done it myself
              Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

http://sites.google.com/site/intrigu...tivehistories/

(/url) https://goo.gl/photos/ABBDQLgZk9DyJGgr5

Comment

I have also jump started my 6v champion a few times in the early days of owning it with no problems. The clock did not work then, but now I have a nos clock fitted and that can not be easily turned off. Is there any danger of damage there?

Dave Pink
                Victoria, Australia

1916 SF Roadster
                1925 ER Tourer
                1925 Panel Delivery
                1953 Champion Sedan
                1957 Golden Hawk

Studebaker Car Club Of Australia Website
                http://www.studebakercarclub.net
                Dave Pink
                Victoria, Australia

1916 SF Roadster
                1925 ER Tourer
                1925 Panel Delivery
                1953 Champion Sedan
                1957 Golden Hawk
                1971 Avanti II

Studebaker Car Club Of Australia Website
                http://www.studebakercarclub.net

Comment

I would think the clock would be distressed by excessive amperage, not voltage.

The point to be made is, a battery has no ground. It has stored energy with an output+ and an input-. Appliances operate on the current either supplied from the output and grounded through the chassis(-) to the input or from the current supplied from the chassis(+) to the negative return through the harness.

Hooking positive to negative terminals on jumpers is akin to attempting to force magnets to change their poles.
                  "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                  Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                  '33 Rockne 10,
                  '51 Commander Starlight,
                  '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
                  '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

Dave, I really don't think 12 volts would hurt the clock. It might wind it extra-fast, if it happened to hit a wind cycle while the jumper cables were attached. If you are concerned about it, wait quietly until you hear it wind, and then do your boost in the minute or so before the next wind cycle. The boost procedure outlined by Rockne10 in the third post is excellent.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
                    Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Anytime you hook 12v to some thing designed for 6v you run the possibility of damaging the component. I would
                      connect negative on both batteries and positive only on 12v battery. Then momentarily contact positive cable on a good ground away from battery(it may explode) while second person has already activated starter. This should reduce voltage applied to rest of system and lessen chance of damage.

Comment

Working...
                      X