60 Hawk Spark plug question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 60 Hawk Spark plug question

Does anyone have a suggetion for a good plug? I put in a set of spitfire plugs and they are just to cold. The car has Idled alot, ie in and out of the garage, and is fouling the plugs. What would be a hotter plug made by anyone for this car.

Thanks

[8D]

Rodney
    60 Black Hawk
    "sometimes down"

My bad it is a 289 with a Rochester 4 jet carb[:I]

Rodney
    60 Black Hawk
    "sometimes down"

Comment

Welll... since it has a Rochester, it ain't stock. Is the carb jetted correctly? A carb that runs too rich will certainly foul the plugs.

that said, if you're sure it's not the carb, I can't say that I'm sold on the "splitfire" concept either. I would just run a good quality standard old spark plug, gapped appropriately (.035" for stock ignition; .040 or .045 for electronic.) I'd resist the temptation to use platinums; they really only work well on modern cars with tight mixture control. Foul 'em once, and you'll be cursing them forever. The stock plugs would have been Champion H14Y, which are still available as RH14YC. (resistor version, copper core.) Good interchanges would be an Autolite 437 or Bosch WR9FC. One step hot would be a RH14YC or WR10FC. (I just can't follow Autolite's numbering system, although I have an explanation squirrelled away on my hard drive somewhere.) I'd start with the stock plugs or equivalent, and then tune from there if you are still having an issue.

good luck,

nate

--
      55 Commander Starlight
      --
      55 Commander Starlight
      http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

oops, make that RH18YC for one step hot.

nate

--
        55 Commander Starlight
        --
        55 Commander Starlight

Comment

Should be Champion number 857 for the old number RH18Y
          (source: http://www.championsparkplugs.com/re...p?AAIA=1397998 )
          HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I honestly can't make ANY sense out of that site Jeff. My NAPA guys say a Champion 91 is the modern equivalent to an H14Y and yet that site's search engine says H14Y or 91 doesn't exist. Funny thing is, I can go buy a pack of those 91s today if I want to!

Tried searching thru Federal-Mogul's site as well. It's even less helpful than the one you linked! I'm glad there's still a guy with a catalog in a brick & mortar place![xx(]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
            1960 Larkvertible V8
            1958 Provincial wagon
            1953 Commander coupe
            1957 President 2-dr
            1955 President State
            1951 Champion Biz cpe
            1963 Daytona project FS
            No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

yeah, I think I might have to get me a paper catalog. I bought one from 1969 when I started the interchange on my web site, but they seem to have gone to using the "stock number" for ordering rather than the numbers that make sense.

I've been told that the current Champions are colder than they were a few years ago and that the "standard" plug is now a more like a RH18Y than a 14Y. Don't know if this is true or not as I've been running the Bosch WR9FC in my car with no issues. (personal preference thing; they always worked for me in my Kraut burners so I saw no need to switch, and they're cheap at Pep Boys.)

nate

PS - I stole that number you posted, since Jeff's post prompted me to finally start adding the new "stock numbers" to my stuff. I'll have to post an updated interchange in a week or so when I finally get it finished.

--
              55 Commander Starlight
              --
              55 Commander Starlight

Comment

Hey Guys, does anyone know if a AC 45LS plugs will fit a 289? I bought 2 sets off ebay. The seller says they fit 60 model V-8's. Any thoughts?

Rodney
                60 Black Hawk
                "sometimes down"

Comment

Ok I went and found Nates Reference guide and they should fit. thanks Nate

Rodney
                  60 Black Hawk
                  "sometimes down"

Comment

The Split Fire spark plug is a gimmick...an expencive gimmick, pure and simple.

If one breaks down what a spark plug does...and exactly how it works...they'll see what a wonderfull piece of hardware it is !!!!!!

Anyone tried one of those turbine things sold on late night TV?

Mike

Comment

Working...
                    X