Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

64 Hawk Transmission "Need Help"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 64 Hawk Transmission "Need Help"

Hello, I am new to the Studebaker Forum and I appreciate any info I can get concerning my newly aquired 64 Hawk.
    When I bought the car I was told it had a Two Speed transmission like the Chevy Powerglide but was Studebaker.
    My problem is the car shifts way too soon and won't down shift when you step on the gas to pass.Is there an adjustment on the transmission and did Studebaker make a two speed tranny?
    I did notice that it doesn't have any linkeage going from the throddle linkeage to the transmission.
    Also, will any other transmission work on a Studebaker? I noticed that someone is selling a kit to adapt other transmissions if anyone had any dealings with these I would appreciate some info.
    I have a 53 Street Machine but it is all Chevy drive line. I wanted to keep the Hawk original. Thanks, David

David L. Morris

Welcome to the forum. You can use the search feature up at the top of the page on the right side. Might find some info. But someone will chime in soon to help you.

Mabel 1949 Champion
    1957 Silverhawk
    1955 Champion 4Dr.Regal
    Gus 1958 Transtar
    1955 President State
    Fresno,Ca
    Mabel 1949 Champion
    Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
    Gus 1958 Transtar
    The Prez 1955 President State
    Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
    Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
    Fresno,Ca

Comment

Trans-Go has a kit for it. It is the same trans as used in 1968 Ford Cast iron case Cruse-O's.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by DLM

Hello, I am new to the Studebaker Forum and I appreciate any info I can get concerning my newly aquired 64 Hawk.
        Welcome and Congratulations on your purchase.
        When I bought the car I was told it had a Two Speed transmission like the Chevy Powerglide but was Studebaker.
        No, It is a Borg-Warner 3-speed Flightomatic transmission. These typically start in 2nd gear, and only go to low during hard acceleration, or manual downshifting.The upshift to 3rd usually occurs at 28-32mph depending on how hard you're pushing it.
        My problem is the car shifts way too soon and won't down shift when you step on the gas to pass.Is there an adjustment on the transmission and did Studebaker make a two speed tranny?
        I did notice that it doesn't have any linkeage going from the throddle linkeage to the transmission.
        That is the problem, You are missing the throttle=pressure rod from the throttle bellcrank to the trans. Without it to regulate internal trans pressure- it will shift to 3rd way too soon and have no downshift. I probably have that rod in-stock and can scan the pertainant pages of the shop manual if you do not have one as yet (highly recommended)
        Also, will any other transmission work on a Studebaker? I noticed that someone is selling a kit to adapt other transmissions if anyone had any dealings with these I would appreciate some info.
        Yes, there is an adapter to use a GM 200R4 or 700R4 transmission behind a Studebaker V8.This has been available for several years, and I'm confidant the kinks have been worked out. I would look into one from Chuck Collins (Studebakerparts.com)
        I have a 53 Street Machine but it is all Chevy drive line. I wanted to keep the Hawk original.
        Many here will like to hear that!

Specializing in Studebaker Restoration
        Ray

www.raylinrestoration.com

Comment

Thanks Ray, how can I get in touch with you? I want the rod ASAP I read somewhere in the Forum... not to drive it without the rod? Not sure why but I'll try not too until I get it fixed.BTW this is the Best Forum I have been on.I really appreciate everyone's help.

David L. Morris

Comment

David, are you SURE the rod is not there? It attaches the the throttle bellcrank, very close to the point where the linkage rod for the gas pedal itself is connected. It does not go up to the carburetor, so if you are looking there, you won't find it. The rod is little more than a foot in length, with a clevis on the tranny end. Could be it simply became disconnected on one end.

Should be easy enough to get one of these rods, if it truly is missing.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
            Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

The rod is missing along with all the other linkage.Even the accelerator pedal bellcrank that was attached to the firewall.If anyone has pictures it would help I have the shop manual but actual photos would really be better.I really want to keep this car ALL Studebaker if possible.I can't understand why it was changed to begin with.I was told that the transmission was rebuilt in 2000 when the car was restored.Thanks

David L. Morris

Comment

the bellcrank is actually attached to the back of the engine. Shouldn't be too hard to find all the stuff you need used from a vendor or someone here. There's a procedure in the shop manual for initial setup which should get you just about right, with only fine tuning required after that.

nate

--
                55 Commander Starlight
                http://members.cox.net/njnagel
                --
                55 Commander Starlight

Comment

Without the rod, the transmission thinks you're accelerating very slowly, so it shifts early and soft. You won't hurt it as long as you don't hotrod it while its shifting.

Comment

Well this makes me feel better I definately won't run it hard.BTW I have learned more today about Studebakers than the past 10 years. I have always loved the 53 and 54 Studes and this Hawk {I just bought }is a great driver even with the shifting problem. I am amazed at how smooth the Studebaker engine runs and starts. Many Thanks

David L. Morris

Comment

Thanks to everyone.After seeing the correct diagram {Ray sent} all I need is the kickdown rod.

David L. Morris

Comment

You can probably fab something temporary from a coat hanger until you can source the correct rod. It'll look like heck but it should work, and then you don't have to worry about it. Make sure that you have the *correct* bellcrank - the ones for stickshifts didn't have the connection for the throttle pressure rod; the ones for automatics didn't have the tab for the OD kickdown switch, etc... they all look very similar but are subtly different

nate

--
                        55 Commander Starlight
                        --
                        55 Commander Starlight

Comment

On the 1953 ,the bell crank was still on the firewall.
                          1954-up it was bolted to the engine

Comment

I think this one has the hole for the rod but I noticed even at full throddle it doesen't move very far.I can reach down to the transmission and move the lever with little effort.I guess I'll have to experiment with the adjustment until I get it right.Think I'll try the coat hanger until I find the correct parts.

David L. Morris

Comment

quote:Originally posted by DLM

I think this one has the hole for the rod but I noticed even at full throddle it doesen't move very far.I can reach down to the transmission and move the lever with little effort.I guess I'll have to experiment with the adjustment until I get it right.Think I'll try the coat hanger until I find the correct parts.
                              The trottle kickdown will need to be substancially bigger than a coat hanger. The original is at least 1/4".
                              I have gathered everything you may need for the install- even though your subsequent e-mail said you may not need all of it. It has all been cleaned, inspected for wear/damage, bead-blasted, and Zinc Electroplated (looks like nice Cad).

A: Manifold clip for return spring
                              B: Rod from bell crank to carburetor (2bbl)
                              C: Throttle Bell Crank
                              D: Dust boot for gas pedal to bell crank rod
                              E: Gas pedal to bell crank rod
                              F: Bell crank to Transmission Throttle Pressure Rod

You will need to purchase (2) Return springs locally. I do not have the correct lengths in-stock. These are easily sourced.
                              The 2nd spring (0312-28-2) attaches to the "hole" in the valve-cover plug wire clip (welded to the top of the valve cover) and not to a seperate clip as shown in the parts book..
                              Paint your springs black (or leave natural). Only the 4bbl carb used the blue return spring.

Ray

Ray

www.raylinrestoration.com

Comment

Working...
                              X