Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Exhaust and Intake Metal Gaskets- Sealant or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust and Intake Metal Gaskets- Sealant or not?

Hi All- I know there's been other discussions on this topic(I have searched and read them). Hope you don't mind me asking for opinions again.. I have some other questions on this subject.
    Putting the exhaust manifolds on my 289 with metal gaskets. Was thinking of spraying them with Permatex High Temp Copper spray sealer- Yay or Nay? Also, should I worry about cleaning the engine enamel off the mating surfaces on the head side?
    Soon, will be putting on the intake manifold. Same question- Use sealant on the metal gaskets? I also found an old set(NORS I should say, not used) of NAPA composite intake manifold gaskets. Do we like those better?

Thanks everyone! Really thrashing to get the Hawk back together for Lancaster!! Whew..!
    Regards- Matt

1963 GT Hawk
    1960 Metropolitan Convertible
    1972 AMC Javelin/ AMX
    1958 Cushman Eagle
    -Matt

1963 GT Hawk
    1972 AMC Javelin/ AMX
    1956 Cushman Eagle

You need good heat transfer from the heads to the manifolds.
    The composite gaskets insulate heat and cause problems.
    When the engine cools ,the heads cool slower if there is insufficient heat transfer
    and the unequal cooling rates put stress on the heads and manifolds.
    On customer had the head on his Avanti crack that way.
    Clean both surfaces very good.
    If the exhaust manifold is warped . take it to a machine shop and have it ground.
    I do not think it will hurt to put copper sealer on because it may increase heat transfer.
    Studebaker used metal gaskets and there always was a good reason for Studebaker to do
    things even though they sometimes made no sense.
    Bob Kapteyn

Comment

I never use the steel intake gaskets.
      I always use the good composite intake gaskets.
      Never have had a failure of any type on an intake.
      (as described by Robert)...
      On the exhaust side, I could see the steel gaskets, if you only use new ones.
      I'd spray them on both sides with the Copper Coat before installing.
      Just an opinion, of course...
      Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by Metman

Hi All- I know there's been other discussions on this topic(I have searched and read them). Hope you don't mind me asking for opinions again.. I have some other questions on this subject.
      Putting the exhaust manifolds on my 289 with metal gaskets. Was thinking of spraying them with Permatex High Temp Copper spray sealer- Yay or Nay? Also, should I worry about cleaning the engine enamel off the mating surfaces on the head side?
      Soon, will be putting on the intake manifold. Same question- Use sealant on the metal gaskets? I also found an old set(NORS I should say, not used) of NAPA composite intake manifold gaskets. Do we like those better?

Thanks everyone! Really thrashing to get the Hawk back together for Lancaster!! Whew..!
      Regards- Matt

1963 GT Hawk
      1972 AMC Javelin/ AMX
      1958 Cushman Eagle
      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Met -

I've used both methods with zero problems on cars actually driven, other than to and from shows.

And yes, the Copper Coat type sealer is a good sealer (and what I use for metal composit or shim type gaskets). On the nonmetalic intake gaskets, I put them on dry. Maybe if it's older material...I'll get them wet in warm water, then install the manifold. Tighten the fasteners again before driving off.

If you have an aluminum intake manifold...best to use a composit gasket. Cast iron...either will normally work just fine.

And....don't worry about any one type material not transmitting or blocking any heat. ALL of the automotive manufacturers have used both types for years with....no problems!

Mike

P.s. - Aren't old wives tales just a real kick in the pants!

Comment

This is helpful, thanks!
          Think I'll try the spray Hi-Temp Copper Permatex on the steel exhaust manifold gaskets. I may try the composite intake gaskets.. guess I'll install them dry if I do. Hey, if they don't work out, I have a brand new set of metal gaskets to use.

Thanks again!
          Matt

1963 GT Hawk
          1972 AMC Javelin/ AMX
          1958 Cushman Eagle
          -Matt

1963 GT Hawk
          1972 AMC Javelin/ AMX
          1956 Cushman Eagle

Comment

A few years ago there was a long thread on this subject on the Alt.Autos Studebaker forum.
            Several post were regarding use of composite gaskets on intakes.
            These gaskets leak after awhile.
            I will try to find the posts on the problems with these.
            Bob

Comment

Working...
            X