53 Freeze Plugs/Motor Mount/Paint?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 53 Freeze Plugs/Motor Mount/Paint?

Came to this site a few weeks ago and got some good tech advice. Figured we ought to join SDC. Did that tonight and there's a post over on the general board introducing us.

Now a few more questions/parts need. First is freeze plugs. 1953 Starlight coupe V8. They are the disc type. I understand they are a bugger to install. What about the expandable copper type. Are they OK? And advice.

Second. Got a passenger side broken motor mount. Where can I get one? I can get it welded but if I can find one I rather do that.

Third. We are not keeping the original color. Don't yell at us. Anyone know a good site with some photos of the color combinations available. Want to look at real cars not paint chips.

Also any advice on bleeding the brakes is appreciated. We replaced all lines, master cylinder and wheel cylinders. Original. No changes.

Thanks.

sigpic

Love those 53's!Try SASCO or studebaker international for the mount.I have read that the freeze plugs arent that bad with the breakneck installation tool.I think you have to pull the starter for one of them.Use the search feature and several posts will come up on this subject here.I recall that there are different depths of plugs and you want to make sure you get the right one.I have used the expandable ones in other applications and never had a problem with one.Look at the members cars pics link from the main page and you will find a number of 53-55's in different color combos.Good luck with your project.Steve
    sigpic

Comment

Thanks, sorry I wasn't clear on the motor mount. What I need is the bracket that bolts on the block which holds the motor mount.

sigpic

Comment

The mounts you are looking for should be 532378 (rt) & 532379 (lt). The right part # is listed on the SASCO site, but any of our vendors should be able to get you going with what you need.

60 Lark convertible
        61 Champ
        62 Daytona convertible
        63 G.T. R-2,4 speed
        63 Avanti (2)
        66 Daytona Sport Sedan
        59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
        60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
        61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
        62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
        62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
        62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
        63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
        63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
        64 Zip Van
        66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
        66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Thanks but it's not the rubber mounts. We have those. it is the bolt on bracket that the mount attaches to. The one that bolts onto the block.

sigpic

Comment

The engine support steel bracket that mounts on the block of the 1953 V8 engine block(532404) with three
            bolts (left and right are the same) is $10.00 plus $2.00 shipping first class or $5.00 shipping "Priority Mail".
            I show these in stock but I have not checked to make sure. If you want this , I will find this bracket in the warehouse.
            I am getting old and slow!
            Bob Kapteyn
            Joliet Studebaker
            112 Bissel street
            Joliet IL.60432

Comment

quote:Originally posted by rkapteyn

The engine support steel bracket that mounts on the block of the 1953 V8 engine block(532404) with three
              bolts (left and right are the same) is $10.00 plus $2.00 shipping first class or $5.00 shipping "Priority Mail".
              I show these in stock but I have not checked to make sure. If you want this , I will find this bracket in the warehouse.
              I am getting old and slow!
              Bob Kapteyn
              Joliet Studebaker
              112 Bissel street
              Joliet IL.60432

Thank you, yes I am interested. I sent you an email and will send payment as soon as you let me know you have one..
              sigpic

Comment

The original disk-type freeze plugs are not hard to install. I did it on my first engine build with no help and never had a leak. I did have trouble finding them, however. You may have to go to a Studebaker vender to get the right ones.

Comment

Working...
                X